What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

trim wedge?

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
Years ago, Avery Tools had a nice little gray plastic wedge that could be epoxied onto an aero surface for a trim wedge. Now that they are retired and gone, is anyone else selling that product?

I’m not sure Cleveland Tools sells them anymore.

I had to order one from RvPlasticParts.

Last edited:
I’ve used balsa trailing edge stock from a hobby supply shop, held in place by coloured cloth tape, easy to change positions and cut to size, light and cheap, done it many times on all my planes.

Determined size needed with balsa wedge. Than reproduced the wedge out of fiberglass on one plane, milled down UDHW plastic block on a few planes, & in one case bent up a wedge out of .025 6061 for a polished plane.

Last edited:
I used the left over trailing edge wedge on the 10. Just fill the holes with filler, paint and adhere with RTV. It is very small and un noticeable. Need a longer piece, but cant even tell t is there.

Larry

I’m not sure Cleveland Tools sells them anymore.

I had to order one from RvPlasticParts.

I bought a few wedges from RV Plastic Parts myself. Attached them with some JB Weld Epoxy. Before epoxying the wedges into position, I first attached them using just Gorilla Tape to test fly them.

They work great! The plane is now in perfect trim with zero detectable changes in airspeed. I couldn’t be happier.

Last edited:
I cut the 6" length down until it was perfect, then used 3M VHB tape to stick the wedge to the underside of the aileron for my heavy wing issue.

Where would the wedge be more effective ? Inboard or outboard on the aileron?

I made mine out of foam. The same stuff I used to build RC planes many years ago. Super light and easy to shape. And you can easily modify or play with different sizes and shape as need to produce the effect you want. You can paint the foam or wrap it in colored tape/ vinyl to match the color of your control surface.

Rv plastics.

I bought one from rv plastics as well and like it. Included free with the order was a neat tool to open the fuel cap. Took me a bit to figure out what it was for, but it’s a pretty slick little tool.

Plus one for the rudder wedge from rvplasticparts.com. The one I bought from them was the perfect size to center the ball on my airplane at cruise.

Back