What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV9 vs 6A

UrbanM

Dear list,
Former builder here. I have time in a 12, 6A, 9 &8. Two years ago a deal of a lifetime came up to buy a flying 6A and I had just sold my 12 so I took advantage. The 6A has been great but now an opportunity has come up to but a partly completed 9 kit and the tools. I really liked flying the 9 for its low speed handling and when you pull the power it feels like you will glide forever (Competition glider pilot talking). Not that the 6A is bad at all and the tricycle gear provides better TO and landing speeds over a straight 6. My 6A is very well built but it does have a FP prop and steam gages (Something I would fix if I built another plane).
My primary mission is XC cruising. Am I an idiot for considering this or should I leave well enough alone?
As usual, looking forward to the varied insights. Thanks!
Kirk

Dear list,
Former builder here. I have time in a 12, 6A, 9 &8.
Kirk

Not to sound snarky, but it looks like you have all the info you need to make a decision. Only you know your motivation to build and/or your mission.

It'll be fun either way.

Laird

Pretty much just aerobatics and a 15ish knot speed difference (w/HP diff). If you prefer the gentle glide - your 6 is NOT it ;) Maybe just add a constant speed prop and "glass" cockpit to your -6, and be done a lot faster than the part way built 9. Good luck tho - there is no perfect ANYTHING! ;)

PS - I glider too - and crew sometimes for my buddy Tony Turiano :)

Keep the 6A and give it a facelift. Panel, paint, interior. The gains in the 9 world are not what you do most of the time. You cruise right? Dress up the panel, maybe some vinyl to change the exterior, interior upgrade. Maybe a ground adjustable prop! No, you are not an idiot, but these small projects keeps you flying, and doing nothing on them when life gets in the way…. You can still go fly.
My 2 cents….

Thanks for the insights. I have decided not to duplicate my current mission. Fortunately I have the hanger space to keep the 6A and add something that fits a different mission. If the 15 ends up being a 4 place or 2+2 I would definitely consider that.
Would like to upgrade the 6 panel if I can get over the fear of the down time.
Kirk

It might take a year or more just to get any extra parts needed that the kit doesnt have. I have a partial kit and no finishing kit and how long it might take to get the parts I am missing is a definite concern with kit lead times 12-18 months.

Your flying RV6A is…….. flying. Are you a builder or a flyer? If you really enjoy building, then buy the -9 and make it like you want. Keep in mind if you haven’t done this before, building your own airplane, even one that is partially built, only requires two things:

1) All of your money
2) All of your time

The RV6 is a great cross country cruiser. Maybe upgrading it to be just what you want, equipment-wise, would be an easier route. You don’t have to do it all at once, and if you are a flyer, you have something to fly. Still gives you, or a future owner, the opportunity to do some acro if you want.

The Ride

In the desert and mountain up and down drafts with a 6 you will get a better ride. The 9 has a lower wing loading and rides rougher. Other than that the 9 is a great plane.

Back