What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 QB Fuselage Modifications for -119EXP Engine

Meat

Patron
Hi All,

After reviewing Section OP-62 on the IO-390-EXP119 engine installation it looks like modifications are needed to QB fuselages. Specifically, along the lower forward firewall to modify cowl plates and shims. And along the tunnel area to add 10 nutplates to mount the cooling flap assembly. These areas already come completed in the QB fuselage so approximately 30 rivets will need to be drilled out to complete these changes. The affected KAI Sections are in 28 and 45.

I wanted to hear from anyone that's completed those modifications to a QB fuselage related to OP-62. How big a hassle was it and were there any gotchas along the way to be aware of? I'm trying to decide if the benefits and expense of using the -EXP119 engine are outweighed by the hassle and time to make the required modifications on a QB fuselage. Thanks for everyone's time.

Scott Davis
RV-14 #140702
Fuselage/Wings done
Waiting on Finishing Kit

After building both models ( slow build) , that’s all that I can think of that would be different.

EXP119 Fuselage Changes

I have been building a slow build, but had effectively built the fuselage to QB status prior to ordering the EXP119. The changes required are easy to accomplish ... see my blog post pictures here for the cowling flap, and here for the lower cowling support plates.

I have been building a slow build, but had effectively built the fuselage to QB status prior to ordering the EXP119. The changes required are easy to accomplish ... see my blog post pictures here for the cowling flap, and here for the lower cowling support plates.
Thanks so much Steve for your time and the link/photos of your project. I thought I'd get more responses to my query. I know many RV-14s being built today are QB fuselages using the -119 EXP engine and wanted to see how others were handling the mods. The photos are super helpful to visualize it all.

Cheers,
Scott

I put on the cowl cooling flap on a QB with a non EXP engine that I had already decided to go with the dual Vetterman exhausts. The drilling out of the rivets and adding nut plates for the cowl flap was very easy to do. I imagine the other modifications required would be similar.

Hi Scott
We did the EXP mods to a quickbuild fuselage. Very easy to do and not much work required. We trimmed the shims with a Dremel, that was easy. And we are quite experts in drilling out rivets by now, so also no problem :) if that is your only concern, go for the EXP!!
Cheers
Fabian

Just complicated it on a quick build fuse. It was very easy. Just complete it all before installing the engine mount. Though not required use of a nutplate jig from the Yard Store has made drilling holes for nutplates, like those required for the tunnel cover, accurate and stress free.

SB Fuse with -119 Mods

I did a slo build fuse and was consternated that I would have to 'unbuild' the bottom portion to accommodate the cowl flap door. But, it took less than a day to complete. Requires two people, though. Reaching the rivets on the inside aft tunnel is the normal challenge for the bucking bar person. All the others are simple. Getting the fuse in the air helps the riveter on the bottom.

Thanks so much for everyone's reply to my query. OP-62 doesn't mention it but how did you handle the two F-1465 Muffler Hanger Angles in the tunnel that are attached in Section 28? My QB fuse came with them installed. It's not clear if they'd interfere with the -EXP Tunnel Cover and Tunnel Exit Door assembly. The 3 options appear to be: Leave them installed (Maybe bend them upward a bit). Cut them out but leave the mounting flanges installed (Steel so it would take a while). Lastly, remove them both completely (which would be a bitch since the rivet shop heads are totally hidden).

Thanks for your time. It's very appreciated.

Cheers,
Scott

Muffler Hanger Angles

As installed the F-1465 Muffler Hanger Angles did interfere slightly with the F-14190 Closeout Assembly on my plane.
The least invasive way to solve the issue was to bend the lower portion of each angle upwards, allowing enough clearance to ensure no contact if the panel was to vibrate/move slightly ...

Attachments

• IMG_8115.jpeg
    IMG_8115.jpeg
    535.4 KB · Views: 319
As installed the F-1465 Muffler Hanger Angles did interfere slightly with the F-14190 Closeout Assembly on my plane.
The least invasive way to solve the issue was to bend the lower portion of each angle upwards, allowing enough clearance to ensure no contact if the panel was to vibrate/move slightly ...

I did the same. Slight bend upwards is all that is required and a lot less evasive then drilling out the rivets.

Thanks to all for your time and the great info. Very informative. Looking forward to installing my -EXP119 engine!

Scott

Tunnel cover nut plates

Has anyone installed the IO 390 119 tunnel cover added 10 nutplates with the building of page 28-05 and dimpled the new #40 vs countersink?

Last edited:
Has anyone installed an electric actuator for the stock -14 cowl flap?
Maybe something like the Aerosplat cowl flap?

Would be nice to have a toggle switch on the panel versus a pull cable.

Bruce - I did exactly the install you are talking about - electric actuator with switch, and I’m very happy with it. In fact I intend to use this approach on my new build. I have pictures and can tell you the source of the actuator I used - however, info/pics are on a home computer and I’m traveling. Send me a pm with email and I’ll forward this weekend.

Has anyone installed the IO 390 119 tunnel cover added 10 nutplates with the building of page 28-05 and dimpled the new #40 vs countersink?

I installed dimpled nutplates (K1000-08D) in all these places and will dimple the tunnel cover for #8 screws. I didn’t see a problem as this is essentially how the wing root covers are installed.

I wish I had seen this post about the exhaust hangers earlier though. I didn’t notice that the hangers slightly protrude from the tunnel, and when I backriveted the tunnel and floor, some of my rivets were not as tight as they could be. In fact, since I’m going EXP-119, it appears there was no reason to even include the hangers. OP-62 makes no mention of that, unfortunately.

I installed dimpled nutplates (K1000-08D) in all these places and will dimple the tunnel cover for #8 screws. I didn’t see a problem as this is essentially how the wing root covers are installed.

Would recommend not doing this.. I did this and found that the tunnel cover is too thick to dimple. Ended up having to countersink the cover and fill the gap on each screw with a oring.

Would recommend not doing this.. I did this and found that the tunnel cover is too thick to dimple. Ended up having to countersink the cover and fill the gap on each screw with a oring.

Well that sucks. Can’t undo those dimples now. Do you know how thick the cover is? Curious why it would be so thick considering it isn’t even there on the non-EXP version. So it’s not structural, although I guess it could be when the tunnel vent is closed. I’ll check if I can match drill the tunnel cover to 0.040” or perhaps double up a couple thinner sheets to get up to the proper thickness.

The cover is .040 and can be dimpled, I have done so but you will probably need a C-frame to get a crisper dimple.

Back