What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insurance for an RV7A

Bobstern

Patron
Anyone knows insurance cost to insure an RV7A for a 63-year-old pilot with 600+ hours, Instrument rated and tailwheel endorsement. Also, continual training through CAP. I have my 1959 Super Cub insured for 85,000 and I pay less than 1,600 annually. Thanks, hoping to become one of ya'll soon. That is owner of an RV.

You'll have to shop a little bit, I hear about quotes all over the place. I'm Paying about $1200 for an RV8. I do have close to 1000 hours in an RV. You might need to get a few hours transition training for the insurance, but thats a good idea anyway. Being a 7A should help with the insurance.

RV7A Insurance

Thanks for the info. I am thinking it should be in the range of what i am paying now for my Super Cub.

These days I’d say the insurance company will require some sort of transition training, before solo. Anywhere from 2 to 10 hours. But the phone call is free. Call a broker (I use and recommend Gallagher) and ask them. You can also directly call Avemco, which does not use broker-agents. But be prepared for an outrageous quote.

I have almost identical flying experience (700 hrs mostly tail wheel and 65 years old) and I pay $1500 for a -14A with insured value $160k

I'm 70, about 700 hrs., IFR. Did transition traiing for a RV7A but no other RV time. I'm paying about $1820 for $100K hull.

+1 on calling Gallagher, and here's the person to ask for:

Leah Ringeisen Light Aircraft Account Executive
direct: 877-520-6247 | fax: 636-532-3646

65 yrs young
1400 hrs, most of it in the RV7 over the last 14 years
IFR rating
80 hrs in last 12 mo, no claims or violations
$1010 just quoted for $100k hull value

Who is your underwriter?

65 yrs young
1400 hrs, most of it in the RV7 over the last 14 years
IFR rating
80 hrs in last 12 mo, no claims or violations
$1010 just quoted for $100k hull value

Could you share who your underwriter is?

I am 55 years old. 1400 hours logged. Commercial Multi-engine Instrument with tailwheel endorsement. No inciendents, or infractions.

825 hours in my RV7A. With a $90K hull coverage, 1M Liability, $100k per person. The aircraft is based on an uncharted grass strip. It lives in a steel hangar. The last premium in Jan 2021 was $1278. At one point it was about $800 and it has just gone up every year. Would love to find a better option.

Back