What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430W crossfill

jgoehl

Will the Garmin 430W crossfill to a Garmin 696 ?

If so what are the correct pin on the 430 and wire to the 696 and the settings on each for the correct data transfer.

Crossfill is the wrong term. Crossfill is a feature on the 430W when it connects directly to another 430W or 530W to exchange waypoint data and Flight plans. This works by connecting RS-232 #4 if I remember correctly and both 430W must be on the same Flight Database Version or it will not work.

If you want to have your 696 learn the flight plan or Direct to from your 430w, that is possible by simply connecting a free RS232 Output on the 430W to the input of your 696. The 430W and 696 will need to be setup for Aviation Format. So the 430W will be doing Aviation Out and the 696 will do Aviation In. There is now way to have the 430W learn the flight plan from the 696, only one way from 430W to 696 as I described.

Thanks

Ray

Data switch

Put a switch in line with the data wire so you can cut off data. This will allow you to cut off route data so you can look at alternate routes. The 430W sends the route constantly so if you try to change things on your 696 without a way to cut off the data stream from the 430W it just over writes what you have done.

I use the switch all the time to evaluate alternate routes or destinations.

Cheers

Reviving an old thread

If I connect 430W to the 696 for flight plan and direct to transfer, will it effect the connection from my GDL-39 for ADS-B in?

If I connect 430W to the 696 for flight plan and direct to transfer, will it effect the connection from my GDL-39 for ADS-B in?

Rob,

Since the 696 only has a single RS-232 port, this might not be possible, but fortunately, when a GDL 39/39R is connected to a 696, it supports using a 2nd RS-232 port on the GDL 39/39R as a "pass-through" port.

Using the pass-through port described on pages 216 and 217 of the Rev. G 696 owner's manual, you can indeed connect both a GDL 39 for ADS-B traffic/weather and use port B on the GDL 39 configured for "Aviation In" for the 696 to also receive the current flight plan from a 430W.

Steve

Back