What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans OSH 2011 Announcements and Rumors?

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Rvators,

for us that can't be at the show, please update below, any info you might get from Vans. I am particular interested to know: "Whats Next?"...their last project the RV12 is now well established, so what keeps those engineers busy and occupied...try and pry it from them ;-)

1) The Rv12 Skyview announcement over here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=74469

Thanx
Rudi

Last edited:
Hi Rudi..

....and how 'bout an update on SEXII? How many guys are learning in her and how many have soloed?

Thanks a bunch...I'm not at Osh either...the crops are growing and my cash register keeps ringing:)

Best,

No answers

I was talking to Ken Krueger about this topic and asked him what was
next. He said they were working on a couple of things (twin engine turbo prop....... and then a wink). But then he asked me what I would like to
see. My answer was a more utilitarian two seater. A little wider with
a baggage area capable of 200 lbs with room for a couple of bicycles
(or one seat maybe), powered by up to IO-360 that could be built
for the price of the RV 7/8/9. YMMV

If they make a slightly wider side by side, make removable instrument panel access covers between the firewall and canopy.

Tandem Light Sport...

I keep hoping for a surprise out of Van's. As my stars are slowly coming into alignment and I hope to start building soon... I'm having trouble finding what I really want out there. I've been pitching for some time that the LSA world now needs a tandem RV.

Re-tool the RV-4. Matched hole; pulled rivets; new wing; O-200/0-233 power; acro; optional open cockpit... E-AB designed around LSA parameters to save design/development time/headaches for Van's...

I can dream anyway... :D

DJ

The LSA world now needs a tandem RV.

Re-tool the RV-4. Matched hole; pulled rivets; new wing; O-200/0-233 power; acro; optional open cockpit... E-AB designed around LSA parameters to save design/development time/headaches for Van's...

I can dream anyway... :D

DJ

Maybe use 9 wings to slow its lower end. Extended motor mount and cowl for balance. That would look cool.
But it would have to come in under 830# to be useful.

I was talking to Ken Krueger about this topic and asked him what was
next. He said they were working on a couple of things (twin engine turbo prop....... and then a wink). But then he asked me what I would like to
see. My answer was a more utilitarian two seater. A little wider with
a baggage area capable of 200 lbs with room for a couple of bicycles
(or one seat maybe), powered by up to IO-360 that could be built
for the price of the RV 7/8/9. YMMV

Yes, a streched out RV-9, bigger engine capacity, more baggage room and a little wider. I'd sacrifice a little on the top end gladly. I'm sure you meant more room for 2 sets of golf clubs and some baggage ;)

Bob

Rudi,
You hit the nail on the head! I sure hope the ears and eyes at Van's are focused this way. :)

Re a modern single seater...they could hardly miss it. Did you walk across the street from the Vans tent and look at the new Onex from Sonex? About $30K with engine and very basic flight instruments. One-man wing fold; you can park four of them in a t-hangar.

Re a modern single seater...they could hardly miss it. Did you walk across the street from the Vans tent and look at the new Onex from Sonex? About $30K with engine and very basic flight instruments. One-man wing fold; you can park four of them in a t-hangar.

Dan, I have been down that road with Sonex, had Onex on order and cancelled last minute due to Sonex not being very customer friendly with South African customers. The more i dug and compared to vans the more i got worried, so i ended up cancelling! If you want more details PM me. I can only wish Vans creates something similiar for us already having a RV's and looking for something cheaper and fun to keep our building genes happy. Rudi

Dan, I have been down that road with Sonex, had Onex on order and cancelled last minute due to Sonex not being very customer friendly with South African customers. The more i dug and compared to vans the more i got worried, so i ended up cancelling! If you want more details PM me. I can only wish Vans creates something similiar for us already having a RV's and looking for something cheaper and fun to keep our building genes happy. Rudi
As much as I want to like the Onex, I just can't get there. If Vans came out with a matched-hole RV-3 (folding wings too!), I'd be ALL over that.

As much as I want to like the Onex, I just can't get there. If Vans came out with a matched-hole RV-3 (folding wings too!), I'd be ALL over that.

Would you want it to be light sport.......... 45 stall 120 max.... ?

Yes, a streched out RV-9, bigger engine capacity, more baggage room and a little wider. I'd sacrifice a little on the top end gladly. I'm sure you meant more room for 2 sets of golf clubs and some baggage ;)

Bob

I vote for this too. In fact, a little company in South Africa recently showed how to stretch their popular 2 seater into a 2+2 design called the Sling 4. Oh....and this Saturday they leave to fly it around the world. :eek:

I bet the RV-9A would stretch out really nicely!

Electric!

With batteries getting better and motors getting lighter, I'd love to see an electric RV-3, with a very clear focus on ease of upgrade to the battery packs as future options improve.

I say an RV-82.
Think P-82.
Two RV-8 FUS. with a center section wing and a tail.
You would have a 4 place Twin.
What could be better?
:cool:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Build a 4 seater comparable to a Grumman Tiger and put a 180-200 horse lycoming on it. Maybe you couldn't fill all 4 seats, add bags, and fill the tanks on a hot day, but the price of entry would be substantially lower than the RV-10 and might fit a lot of budgets which simply can't handle an RV-10.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Build a 4 seater comparable to a Grumman Tiger and put a 180-200 horse lycoming on it. Maybe you couldn't fill all 4 seats, add bags, and fill the tanks on a hot day, but the price of entry would be substantially lower than the RV-10 and might fit a lot of budgets which simply can't handle an RV-10.

Something like this?

MG_1376m_800_copy1.jpg

Vans could easily stretch the RV-9A - it is well within their technical capabilities just as it was within the capabilities of the guys at The Airplane Factory to stretch their 2 seat Sling into a 4 seater as seen above. I think a big issue for Vans would be the potential loss of RV-10 orders (or maybe RV-9 orders?). Plus adding another product to the current line up has got to cause some issues for the business - they can't just keep adding various models without re-structuring something...or can they? :D

Something like this?

MG_1376m_800_copy1.jpg

Vans could easily stretch the RV-9A - it is well within their technical capabilities just as it was within the capabilities of the guys at The Airplane Factory to stretch their 2 seat Sling into a 4 seater as seen above. I think a big issue for Vans would be the potential loss of RV-10 orders (or maybe RV-9 orders?). Plus adding another product to the current line up has got to cause some issues for the business - they can't just keep adding various models without re-structuring something...or can they? :D

No doubt that a "tweener" airplane would probably cannibalize sales from the -9 and the -10. I actually had that discussion with Ken Scott at Oshkosh and had a similar one with Ken Kreuger (sp?) via e-mail a year ago. Just because it may not make sense for Van's doesn't mean I don't want one. ;-)

With batteries getting better and motors getting lighter, I'd love to see an electric RV-3, with a very clear focus on ease of upgrade to the battery packs as future options improve.

+1 for that. Single seat LSA with gas/electric options

Yeah, still drooling for a stretched nine! I love the 10 just can't afford it in this lifetme.

I also wondered why if the RV-12 can be licensed as an experimetal kit that the 9 can't have that same easy to build format that the 12 has.

Also, with the sophistication and accuracy of the CNC maching why are people still needing to jump, whack, beat and bang on the canopy frame? :D

Bob

Yup - If you look at my past postings, I've made the exact same argument. While I think there is enough of a niche market there... It may not be enough of a niche to be profitable after all the R&D as I am afraid it would definately eat into a few RV-9 and RV-10 sales

To reiterate what I said earlier, for me - I will probably end up dropping my medical. I like the RV-12... but don't LOVE the RV-12. I'm a tandem seat guy... and really want an RV-4 style LSA. There is nothing on the market to compete with it. The "Mysky One" hasn't updated their site in over a year... nor has the Warner Sportster. I think the market would love a sporty, tandem low wing meeting LSA specs. That's probably where my money will go when I find it. If it looked like the Millennium Master... well, my RV Grin would rival cartoon smiles.:D

For an all metal, low wing, tandem LSA check out
the Thatcher CX5. Dave should be selling plans
sometime next year.
Tom

2nd Kyle

Dittos what Klye said :D
A better Tiger would be terrific at the right price. Had a few very enjoyable hours in a Tiger. A faster, more efficient one would be a fine project.

Perhaps next year will be the time for announcements year:

"Another special event slated for 2012 is a tribute to Richard VanGrunsven, founder of Van?s Aircraft." :D:D

For an all metal, low wing, tandem LSA check out the Thatcher CX5. Dave should be selling plans sometime next year.
Tom
Yes... watching this development. Too far from retirement to consider a plans-build. If Peter sells matched hole kit parts, I might make a run at it. Wishing it was an RV though... :rolleyes:

How about looking out for us old farts

Sorry guys, i want a high wing RV10 that i can crawl into when I am old. no more climbing onto the wing. i want to be able to use my walker to get in the plane

Sorry guys, i want a high wing RV10 that i can crawl into when I am old. no more climbing onto the wing. i want to be able to use my walker to get in the plane

Van's already supplies kits for a suitable wing and empennage. If you design your fuselage properly, you'll also get to use a lot of the items from the finish kit.

I swear this is a business opportunity for someone.

RV?

Don't forget Vans other passion, gliders. The 12 is a move in that direction with removable wings like gliders. Also a motor glider pilot needs no medical or current drivers license to fly. How about an RV? being an electric motorglider not ulike the Pipistrel seen at Oshkosh.

Being in south africa I have followed the development of that stretched sling 4 seater with interest. Rotax 115hp 4 seater at rv12 speeds...hmmm...save another year and rather buy a descent 260hp rv10 four seater that can carry the load and do the speeds, you will be much happier. There is no free lunch in aviation, and no magic potions to beat physics. :p

OK guys...

I'm in Portland all week & tomorrow I'm planning a tour of Van's. Any reasonable requests for pertinent info or pictures?
Wx is in low 70's today (eat your heart out NE Georgia). sleeping without A/C
and windows open. Crossed seeing the Pacific off bucket list yesterday.
Watched my daughter's beau hang glide off of Cape Lookout. Very Cool.
Later
Blue Skies:cool:

There is a lot of GA market support for 4 seater's with 360's and you don't have to look far to find it. It would make a nice niche for the Van's world as well.

Something more affordable than a 10 in between the 9 and 10 in size even if the performance wasn't up to the regular RV's would still be desireable for many. There are a lot of us that can't afford a 10 and certainly not a new GA bird - even a the baseline 172 has spiraled out of the reach of most. There's not a lot being offered in the experimental world in the middle outside of a Velo SE (and who wants to spend 7 to 10 years sanding?).

And who among us would want a 30 - 50 year old bird with old hardware, headaches and dark recesses where you wouldn't want to even venture?

Bob

Back