What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Emp Delivery Tomorrow!

rjm727

Well Known Member
Just got the call…Emp delivery is scheduled for tomorrow (12/01/21). Merry Christmas to me! 🎅

For reference, ordered our RV14 Emp at Sun N Fun 2021. Original projected crate date was forecast to be Aug 16.

Ordered wing kit at the same time with a projected crate date of Nov 22…no word yet.

And so the journey begins! Will document with video (YouTube) and website http://www.rv14build.com/

Definitely will be relying on all of your expertise! Built an RV8 tail many years ago and attended the Synergy Build Class in September but still consider myself a novice builder.

You know if you took the day off it will arrive at 5:00 PM and if you did not it will be there at 8:00 AM.............

Congratz

Last edited:
LOL…I did take the day off…that’s ok though, have to do a little more prep work before it gets here. Christmas decorations invaded the “factory”…lol

Congrats! Out of curiosity, did you communicate with Vans after the crating started to establish the shipping plans? I ask because I'm considering picking up my kit in Oregon instead of getting it shipped, and I'm unsure of the logistics of that.

I gotta admit, my first-glance take was somebody was going to experience an electromagnetic pulse attack and I hope they'll be okay.

Agree with the cynical whimsy about taking the day off to await the delivery.:D

Congrats! Out of curiosity, did you communicate with Vans after the crating started to establish the shipping plans? I ask because I'm considering picking up my kit in Oregon instead of getting it shipped, and I'm unsure of the logistics of that.

Just email [email protected] (or call) and let them know you'd like to set your delivery up as a will-call pick-up. They'll be able to answer questions and note your order for when the time comes. You can also let the team know whether you're going to want the kit crated or not when you pick it up.

No, they arranged everything. I didn’t even know it actually shipped until I received a call from the carrier. The new status website doesn’t seem to be up to date. It still indicated crating when it arrived at my door.

I have not had a chance to inventory yet but the packing looked very good. Crate had minor damage (top peeled up on one side) but noted no damage to any internal pieces where crate damage occurred. I did see what appears to be a crease on one of the skins in the bottom of the crate (nowhere near the damage). Will know more when I dig into it.

Last edited:
I just wanted to add a data point.

I ordered my 14 empennage in May. 2021. I picked it up this morning, January 2022.

I did not know that it shipped until I received a Bill of Lading email from ABF Freight. It took about a week to make the journey from Oregon to the Atlanta area.

The freight was COD and ABF called me for payment before they would schedule a delivery. The bill was about $960. I requested a Will Call pickup with ABF for two reasons. I didn’t have to wait around for the delivery and I figured it was one less trip on a forklift and less chance for damage.

A couple days ago, I got a pop up message on my phone that I was getting a $230 credit from ABF.

This morning, a buddy and I picked it up. The crate was in pristine condition and while I haven’t inventoried it yet, it appears there was zero damage. I am missing the tailwheel stinger mount and the trailing edge which are both backordered.

In the video that Vans put out last week they talked about using their established trucking companies verses trying to find some budget operator. I concur and will vouch for ABF. I couldn’t be happier with their service. It appears they refunded me a portion of the charges since they weren’t making the final delivery. They would not have had to do that and I’d have been none the wiser, but they did. That earns them a gold star.

I just wanted to add a data point.

I ordered my 14 empennage in May. 2021. I picked it up this morning, January 2022.

I did not know that it shipped until I received a Bill of Lading email from ABF Freight. It took about a week to make the journey from Oregon to the Atlanta area.

The freight was COD and ABF called me for payment before they would schedule a delivery. The bill was about $960. I requested a Will Call pickup with ABF for two reasons. I didn’t have to wait around for the delivery and I figured it was one less trip on a forklift and less chance for damage.

A couple days ago, I got a pop up message on my phone that I was getting a $230 credit from ABF.

This morning, a buddy and I picked it up. The crate was in pristine condition and while I haven’t inventoried it yet, it appears there was zero damage. I am missing the tailwheel stinger mount and the trailing edge which are both backordered.

In the video that Vans put out last week they talked about using their established trucking companies verses trying to find some budget operator. I concur and will vouch for ABF. I couldn’t be happier with their service. It appears they refunded me a portion of the charges since they weren’t making the final delivery. They would not have had to do that and I’d have been none the wiser, but they did. That earns them a gold star.

Phil, thanks for the data point. If I understand correctly, you had no idea that your kit had even shipped until called by the freight company. If that was the case, I think that this is what I and others are referring to when it’s brought up that better communication would be helpful. The updates so far have been enlightening and certainly help everyone to get their heads around the reasons for delays, but the lack of direct communication for individual orders and timeframes is what’s lacking. That’s what most of us are hoping to get.

Thanks and good luck with your build!

Patrick

My ordering timeline is similar to Phil’s. I ordered a 14A emp kit last May. My online status has held steady at “Assigned to crating” with a crate date range of Jan 24 - Feb 7 for the last couple of months.

Yesterday I got an email from FedEx saying that a shipment from Vans had been set up in their system. And today I got an update that it had shipped, is currently in transit, and will be delivered four days from now. I never got a call or email from Vans and the online status still says “Assigned to crating”

I understand the challenges Vans is dealing with and I’m just glad that the kit is finally on its way after the original projected ship date in September. I plan on calling fedex to see how best to coordinate the delivery since I have no idea how the logistics or payment is going to work.

If there is anything I can do to help just let me know. Looks like we are in the same city so if you need a hand moving crates around or what ever....

-Marc

My ordering timeline is similar to Phil’s. I ordered a 14A emp kit last May. My online status has held steady at “Assigned to crating” with a crate date range of Jan 24 - Feb 7 for the last couple of months.

Yesterday I got an email from FedEx saying that a shipment from Vans had been set up in their system. And today I got an update that it had shipped, is currently in transit, and will be delivered four days from now. I never got a call or email from Vans and the online status still says “Assigned to crating”

I understand the challenges Vans is dealing with and I’m just glad that the kit is finally on its way after the original projected ship date in September. I plan on calling fedex to see how best to coordinate the delivery since I have no idea how the logistics or payment is going to work.

Back