What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Condition inspection, fuel tank removal.

D&M Dan

Well Known Member
Reading the maintenance Manuel to prepare for my first condition inspection. Among things listed to remove is the fuel tank. I am wondering why. I?m not seeing any specific reason to do this. I believe once drained the outlet screen can be removed from below and cleaned and inspected.
Am I missing something? Seems like taking those frangible bolts in and out may be a potential problem and when I built the airplane I installed the floor and tunnel access panels so as I would not need to remove the fuel tank.
Thanks,
Dan
(Waiting for SB parts and spring weather)

No, I don?t think you are missing anything. No need to remove the tank in your case.

Reading the maintenance Manuel to prepare for my first condition inspection. Among things listed to remove is the fuel tank. I am wondering why. I?m not seeing any specific reason to do this. I believe once drained the outlet screen can be removed from below and cleaned and inspected.
Am I missing something? Seems like taking those frangible bolts in and out may be a potential problem and when I built the airplane I installed the floor and tunnel access panels so as I would not need to remove the fuel tank.
Thanks,
Dan
(Waiting for SB parts and spring weather)

Not required if you have the modification above to include the split aft baggage compartment panel. Part of the annual inspection is to inspect the flaperon torque tube attachment to its respective bell crank assembly for security. The right fitting can be inspected by holding a mirror and flashlight behind the baggage compartment bulkhead looking forward. You can view the fitting through a lightning hole.

Hope that made sense?

Regards,

Back