What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Water in my Tank - use KRYTOX GPL 205

pilotkms

Well Known Member
In Martin Filiatraut’s VAF post/blog about his OSH2022 experience, he comments that a fellow RV8 would not start for departure and he subsequently learned that it was due to water in the gas. The storm that rolled thru Saturday nite likely got water into their tanks. They had drained the battery so the cowl had to be removed and time spent recharging the battery. Not the best departure experience.
So back to OSH2019. A similar, or more powerful storm rolled thru that year, coincidentally on the first Saturday, leaving us all very wet. Time to leave on Thursday so i sumped the tanks, draining 2 full testers from each tank. I thought i drained enough and saw the blue tint in the 2nd test of each. Time will tell……..
I start up and taxi out to 36L. About 20 minutes after start i get cleared for takeoff. Full throttle, take off, turn right to 150, stay below 1300’. All is good.
About a half hour at cruise 6500’, approaching Poplar Grove C77, i switch tanks. I like switching tanks near airports. About 30 seconds later i get the engine stumble u dont want to hear. I immediately switch back to the original tank. That sweet hummmm returns.
I continue on for 20 minutes and land at Dekalb KDBK for fuel. I sump the tanks after filling both to the top. The original tank was fine, no water. The Second tank had water. Another 2 full testers worth. I made sure there was no water left in either tank, and smelled the test from each to verify. Remaining trip home was uneventful.
When i got home i perused VAF and found a recommendation to use KRYTOX to lubricate the gas cap o-ring. Some had mentioned to use other products like EZ-Turn or Fuel Lube. But others had recommended to NOT use those products. The only negative for KRYTOX was the price, at $25 for a small tube. So i ordered the KRYTOX and applied it Immediately.
Since then, i apply it sparingly at CI time. Have not found a drop of water in either gas tank to this day. But my plane rarely sees rain. This recent OSH was the real test. NO water in either tank.
So im a believer in KRYTOX. Thanx to those prior posters that suggested it. I recommend anyone going to OSH, or ANY rainy area, make sure your gas caps are adjusted snuggly and use KRYTOX.

Not sure if most know this or not, but the caps must be adjusted to provide a leak free seal. I do not use any lube and my 6 lives on the ramp. Only time I found water was after replacing the tension pin on one cap and left the adjustment a bit too loose.

The lube helps to make them close easily, but I just put a bit of gas on the oring and it acts like a lube. One of these days I need to buy that Krytox stuff.

Larry

Carry a roll of clear packing tape with you if you've had leaks in the past. Just tape over the caps with a tab for removing it if it's going to sit outside in the rain.
Saves having to dig your plane out of the trees.
Art

Carry a roll of clear packing tape with you if you've had leaks in the past. Just tape over the caps with a tab for removing it if it's going to sit outside in the rain.
Saves having to dig your plane out of the trees.
Art

THIS^

I carry 4" squares of flap tape or leading edge tape and ALWAYS cover my caps when outside. I've never had water in my tanks. Yes, I use Krytox and have them adjusted properly- but why take a chance.

Seems like a person ought to buy the Krytox, Before they wish they had used it.
Little tube, expensive, But goes a long way and It WORKS GREAT.
Art

Bill L. Thanx

Thanx for the link to your post back in 2018. That most likely was one of the reasons i decided to use the Krytox. Was too long ago for me to remember. Glad u did.

Back