What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

filling holes in sheet metal?

Mike D

Well Known Member
Any tips or ideas on how to fill holes in sheet metal? Like the holes left behind after moving an antenna or pitot tube? This is a finished and plane.

Fiberglass? Sheet metal patch riveted on? Or maybe some sheet metal and proseal?

For now it just has a patch of aluminum tape. Works but not pretty.

Cap it

As Reilly mentioned, you can get one of those pop in caps. Drill as appropriate. I recommend Click Bond as the adhesive. It won't be going anywhere.

THEN, if anybody asks just tell them about the mandatory service bulletin requiring the mod:D

If you have an odd hole like a streamlined pitot hole, you could flush patch it. Use a piece of Al the same thickness as the skin and cut/file a plug that fits the hole exactly. Rivet this to a larger patch that will fit inside. You could probably get 4 rivets in a pitot shaped hole patch. Then you can pick up the existing rivet holes in the skin and add as many more as you need to lock your patch in flush. Afterwards it can be sanded and have the seam filled to be invisible.

If you have an odd hole like a streamlined pitot hole, you could flush patch it. Use a piece of Al the same thickness as the skin and cut/file a plug that fits the hole exactly. Rivet this to a larger patch that will fit inside. You could probably get 4 rivets in a pitot shaped hole patch. Then you can pick up the existing rivet holes in the skin and add as many more as you need to lock your patch in flush. Afterwards it can be sanded and have the seam filled to be invisible.

When properly done as described it looks professional and appropriate, even when the joint is not filled. A patch is a story and adds to the character of the aircraft. Sadly I have none on my machine, yet.....

Bond a piece of aluminum on the inside, then fill the hole on the outside with some JB weld. Put some packing tape over it (not the sticky side) to let it dry smooth. Then sand it flush and paint.

Bond a piece of aluminum on the inside, then fill the hole on the outside with some JB weld. Put some packing tape over it (not the sticky side) to let it dry smooth. Then sand it flush and paint.

I am sure you have the common sense to do this in an area that would not be considered an airworthiness or structural issue. It's just an antenna hole anyway. However, my opinion and advice to others is....

Flaunt your mistakes or changes in all of their glory. If you hide it, and I find it, it puts the entire airframe in question for me. What else is hidden?
Follow AC43-13-1b or an airframe manual if you want to do it right. I consider a correct repair to be just as much a work of art as nice paint. It adds to the validity of the build.

If you disagree and just want to hide it and make it look pretty, fill away.....

I really like the idea of a riveted on patch. Could look cool and appropriate.

But man, this will be a lot of work as the access to the inside means removing the riveted on seat flooring. And if I do that, then there is this other thing I need to do and then.........
You get the idea. :)

I really like the idea of a riveted on patch. Could look cool and appropriate.

But man, this will be a lot of work as the access to the inside means removing the riveted on seat flooring. And if I do that, then there is this other thing I need to do and then.........
You get the idea. :)

Since you removed an antenna from there, why not fashion a plate and plug the same shape, copy the mounting screws, and screw that back in there?

Wilke Buttons

If you are really old, or a history buff? you would know what a Wilke button is.

You also could use an aluminum chassis plug;)

I've set less than 50 rivets my whole life, and I had a flush patch I needed to get done on the wheel pant for my Cessna 170B.

Luckily, I have my buddy next door who built a beautiful -10 and he was kind enough to bring his tools over and took the time to get me up to speed with using the hand and pneumatic squeezer. Countersinking, dimpling...I didn't want the fun to stop! Anyways, my wheel pant is all fixed up and I am REALLY dying to get my hands on an empennage kit for a -8 now :)

I left the patch in primer because I didn't want to hide it. I'm actually proud of my work and wish it was on the outboard side where it would be more visible :p

The pneumatic squeezer is AWESOME!!!!

08678de4-fe2a-4ea3-b156-518839acd509.jpg

b58c76bb-16ca-4f6f-b4a3-407647207412.jpg

0648d1e9-d833-47cf-84cf-681600deaa80.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work

That is a nice looking patch. But just FYI, a hand squeezer would have done that job equally as good and simple, without any hose to boot.

Thanks. I used the hand squeezer and it worked well. We used the pneumatic squeezer just to give me some experience with both.

Back