What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT req for RV-3 on a diet

VCMaine

My RV-3 and I are both trying to lose weight. The goal is 6 pounds for me (1 gallon) and 25 or so for the '3 (another 4 gallons). I'm down 3 of the 6 so far, and I'm thinking for the '3 to go to a gel-cell battery and remove the ELT. Instruments and avionics are already pretty minimal so the battery and elt is about all that's obvious. Not sure of ELT requirements for single place a/c. I could look this up but I know several of you probably know this cold. For a single place a/c, ie. RV-3, what is the minimum ELT requirement, what is the lightest ELT if I need it, and how far can I go with no ELT installed? (I'd be using a PLB in that instance). Thanks.

Simple - the minimum ELT requirements for an RV-3 is....zero!

We will have a GPS enabled PLB on the harness for the -3 we are building - far more reliable than an ELT anyways.

(We found it far easier to reduce our personal weight than that of the airframe BTW....)

Paul

Last edited:
An RV-3B, due to it's experimental airworthiness basis, is not required to be built to standard airworthiness requirements as defined by Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) Part 91. FAR Part 91 defines the requirements for civil aircraft certified with to standard airworthiness requirements.

Specifically, Sec. 91.207 of Subpart C to FAR Part 91 defines standard airworthiness requirements for ? Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELT). Item (9) under Paragraph (f) to Sec 91.207 states that no ELT is required for "Aircraft equipped to carry not more than one person."

Quick answer - an ELT is not required for your RV-3B. Personally, I would forgo some body fat before I'd forgo an ELT.

Bob

An RV-3B, due to it's experimental airworthiness basis, is not required to be built to standard airworthiness requirements as defined by Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) Part 91. FAR Part 91 defines the requirements for civil aircraft certified with to standard airworthiness requirements.

Specifically, Sec. 91.207 of Subpart C to FAR Part 91 defines standard airworthiness requirements for — Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELT). Item (9) under Paragraph (f) to Sec 91.207 states that no ELT is required for "Aircraft equipped to carry not more than one person."

Quick answer - an ELT is not required for your RV-3B. Personally, I would forgo some body fat before I'd forgo an ELT.

Bob

I would read it differently --

Emergency locator transmitters.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (e) and (f) of this section, no person may operate a U.S.-registered civil airplane unless--
(1) There is attached to the airplane an approved automatic type emergency locator transmitter that is in operable condition for the following operations, except that after June 21, 1995, an emergency locator transmitter that meets the requirements of TSO-C91 may not be used for new installations:

It's general operating rules for all aircraft, whatever their certification.

But single place is an exception, again whatever certification.

It's labeled "Operating and Flight Rules" not certification rules.

Tks all!
I'm already down to 157, goal is 155. The rest has gotta come off the plane. The ELT is coming out, lock, stock and barrel, and the GPS PLB (5 ounces) is going in.

Tks all!
I'm already down to 157, goal is 155. The rest has gotta come off the plane. The ELT is coming out, lock, stock and barrel, and the GPS PLB (5 ounces) is going in.

Please let us know what the final empty weight of the three is.....

Eng, prop etc.

Personal Locator Beacon

Gil, what do you make of 91.207 section 2 with regard to a personal locator beacon rather than an automatic ELT? It seems to say that for operations other than part 121, 125, and 135, that an "approved personal type or an approved automatic type emergency locator transmitter ..." would be sufficient. Might that allow, for instance, an ACR SARLink personal locator beacon instead of an ELT?

Back