What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Primed outside of part

I am working on the elevators of my RV-10 and primed (Akzo) all the parts, only to notice that I primed the outside of a cover plate. Part E-616 which goes on the bottom of the wing. Since this is an external part it will need to be addressed before painting. I am not sure if I should try to remove the primer (not sure how or if I can), leave for the painters to handle or even just purchase new parts. New parts are only $6.75 each but I am tired of buying replacement parts for dumb mistakes. Any suggestions?

Paint remover

I am working on the elevators of my RV-10 and primed (Akzo) all the parts, only to notice that I primed the outside of a cover plate. Part E-616 which goes on the bottom of the wing. Since this is an external part it will need to be addressed before painting. I am not sure if I should try to remove the primer (not sure how or if I can), leave for the painters to handle or even just purchase new parts. New parts are only $6.75 each but I am tired of buying replacement parts for dumb mistakes. Any suggestions?

I would leave it. Akzo is tough. You could try paint remover on a corner to see if softens it. If so, remove the rest.

Acetone is your friend. I buy it by the gallon. Use common sense when handling it, but it should wipe off that primer easily with a couple rags (and gloves). Use old T-shorts vs paper towels - they work better.

Maybe Akzo is tougher than I thought. You could try acetone which might work if you rough up the surface with sand paper, or the spray on paint remover from Home Depot, etc, which I’ve used, and it works on everything I’ve tried, including catalyzed paint.

Methylated spirits

Sometimes methylated spirits works better than acetone for removing primer, I'm not sure specifically about the Akzo, but easy enough to try. Otherwise you could just leave it for the painters to deal with later.

Removing AKZO may take a bit of elbow grease. I'll offer a different suggestion. Those cover plates are really inexpensive (all things considered) and easy to add to a future order. Do yourself a favor and just get a new set.

I do understand where you are coming from. I painted the outside of my rear passenger vents and just leaving them primed for now. Hoping that I can live with it until I decide to get the plane painted, but they mock me every time I see them!

Any commercial paint stripper containing dichloromethane (sometimes called methylene chloride) will soften AkzoNobel epoxy primer, breaking its bond with the underlying surface and allowing it to be scraped off. Wait a while after application for maximum effect. After removal, clean the surface well with acetone or MEK.

However, unless you're planning on polishing the aircraft, or you think your initial application was deficient in some way, I'd suggest leaving it as is until you come to final surface finishing. It will protect the surface while you're building, and with appropriate rubbing back will provide a good base for further priming or painting.

Forget stripping it . . . that is a superior primer and is an active corrosion inhibitor. Better than you will likely get at the paint shop. Leave it there. In fact, if I build another plane I will prime the whole thing then take it to the paint shop for the beauty coat.

A good modern primer can not be removed with acetone, although some 2K epoxies can be. I gotta be careful here as many zinc chromate primers are/were acetone removable an they were quite good.

Last edited:
Back