What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane Cleaner

petehowell

Well Known Member
Summer means bugs. Bugs mean work and time to clean. Goal - minimize time and work. To that end, I tried a new product and have been very pleased with the results. It appears to be pretty cheap, too!

I have been cleaning the plane with a microfiber towel and 3 oz of Turtle Wax Rinse Free Wash and Wax in a spray bottle with 24 oz water. Spray it on the buggy areas - let it set for a min - wipe off the bugs, easy-peasy. Smells great and leaves a light wax finish that helps with the bugs next time.

32 oz bottle on sale at Menard's for $5 will make gallons of plane cleaner. MADE IN THE USA! Try it - no great loss if you no likey!

T8.jpg

Weekly%2520Ad%2520at%2520Menards%2520-%2520Google%2520Chrome_2013-07-10_22-27-45.jpg

Coupla drops of Dawn in water in a spray bottle is my solution (oh the puns I didn't take advantage of). Biggest thing I've noticed is that if I do a quick clean after each flight, it is waaaaay easier than if I let it build up.

Resurrecting this middle-aged thread after trying this stuff.

As Pete found, it works *great*! I picked up a bottle for $5 from Menards and mixed 1/2oz with water into a 32oz spray bottle. Going around the aircraft, doing one section at a time, worked great and I found that the 32oz. bottle was just about the perfect size as I had only a couple oz. left when done.

Last edited:
You used 30 oz of cleaner at one time! I use the Simple Green Aviation in the spray bottle.. I use it until it gets half way empty and then top off the bottle with water. I have done this a few times and the stuff still works great cut down.. I probably only use a couple ounces of cleaner at a time.

Resurrecting this middle-aged thread after trying this stuff.

As Pete found, it works *great*! I picked up a bottle for $5 from Menards and mixed it up into a 32oz spray bottle. Going around the aircraft, doing one section at a time, worked great and I found that the 32oz. bottle was just about the perfect size as I had only a couple oz. left when done.

K.I.S.S.

Lemon Pledge. Use it on all surfaces, incl plexi. Way less expensive when compared to the 'airplane plexi' stuff. OK on fabric covered ships too. Sometimes I apply this stuff with a bug sponge to get the really nasty ones off.

The spray cans transport easily/safely when you are traveling.

Please use a very clean towel on the plexi - no paper products.

In case I hadn't mentioned it before, I hate wiping airplanes. Been doing it since I was 4; my Dad taught me early! I wondered about the carbon tetrachloride he had me using way back then, but it did work. Is that stuff even legal these days?

Wait a minute - I fly round engine airplanes too! Sometimes a bit of Goop Hand cleaner is required there to get the exhaust off - but not the stuff with pumice in it, please. Works on those hot water 12s too.

BTW the Goop cleaner will take smoke oil residue off too.

Carry on!
Mark

You used 30 oz of cleaner at one time!

No. I should have been more clear. The stuff is concentrated and mixed with water. I used 1/2 oz. of cleaner mixed with water to form 32 oz of cleaner.

I use Simple Green as well to clean the leading edges between flights, but it doesn't leave a polished/waxed surface like the Turtle Wax product does.

Last edited:
Back