What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight - RV-9A (and hat sighting)

Ranger

After 4 years and 2150 hours, RV-9A N214DX took to the sky this morning! It flew hands free, stalls straight forward, and performs just like Van said it would. It is Day/Night VFR with a Dual Skyview system, Lycoming XIO-320-D1A from Aero Sport Power, Hartzell Constant Speed prop, Dual P-Mag electronic ignition with auto plugs, and weighs in at 1080 with paint. Many thanks to Wally Anderson at Synergy Air for the great RV building class to get the project started and for continuing advice when I would get stuck, which was frequently. Thanks, also, to all the great builders who make up VansAirforce who helped immensely along the way. Frank Sneed did the airworthiness inspection and Brian Moentenich did my transition training in his RV-6A. And, thanks to all the talented and helpful people at Van's for a great design and assistance. What a dream come true!

Great Job! Enjoy your new bird, and take the time to really air things out in your Phase 1 flight testing. Good luck, and keep that RV Grin on your face. Well done.

Excellent news! One type of fun is over, and now let the real fun begin. Enjoy the bird!

Thanks all

As for the empty weight with paint, possibly it is related to a fairly spartan panel (dual Skyview displays, a COM radio, an intercom, and switches/breakers) and a bare metal interior with Classic Aero seats. It also has no vacuum pump, but it does have a constant speed prop. It was weighed on certified aircraft scales, so I'm going to go with it. Sure is fun to fly!

Back