What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting engine baffles?

Clouddancer

Well Known Member
It seems to me that many people are painting there engine baffles. I wonder if there is a good reason to paint the baffles other than for the looks? :confused:
Please help.

My baffles are white and they've been powder-coated. The light color helps examining the engine. The powder-coating has proven robust, with around 500 hours on it now. But dirt seems to adhere well and is difficult to remove.

It didn't take long to do it - a trip to the powder-coater to drop them off, and another to pick them up, and they were on the way to the airport anyway.

Dave

My baffles for my Cessna were replaced with new units from Airforms Alaska. It was a premium, but I opted for the "hammertone grey powdercoating" option, and it was worth every penny.

After 10 years of abuse, they look exactly as they did when new. No staining, bugs/dirt just wipe right off. No more corrosion issues either.

http://www.airforms.biz/index.php?route=common/home

Last edited:
By the time the fiberglass fairings, cowling and canopy were done I just wanted to finish up and go flying. My baffles were left unpainted (unfinished?) and I see that every time I look at the plane from the front. If you want them painted, do it now!
Seems like someone wrote it was easier to see cracks in unpainted metal. Don't know about that but my one cracked baffle could not have been hidden by paint.

What kind of paint?

Thanks for the replies. If the baffles are going to be painted, what kind of paint should I use? Heat resistance of the paint may be an issue? Two of you mentioned powder coating.

I painted mine white with PPG's OMNI brand single stage polyurethane paint. I have had no issues with the paint, and a crack in an oil cooler brace support was very easy to detect. Engine temperatures have not discolored the white paint.

My personal experience is that it is easier to clean the bugs off of the painted baffle parts than the #1 cylinder ramp that is not painted. I will be painting that particular item when I paint the AC next month. The reason that this one particular baffle part was not painted is that it was the last item to be added /modified to address the balanced CHT's.

My baffles are white and they've been powder-coated. The light color helps examining the engine. The powder-coating has proven robust, with around 500 hours on it now. But dirt seems to adhere well and is difficult to remove.

It didn't take long to do it - a trip to the powder-coater to drop them off, and another to pick them up, and they were on the way to the airport anyway.

Dave

Brilliant. I just had all my canopy pieces powder coated to match the rest of the stuff inside. I think I'll do the same with the baffles.

Why Paint?

Same reason you paint your airplane in general -- it costs lots of money, and adds lots of weight :D

Don

RV6 - Unpainted since new

Go with powder coat. My '8 is 13 years old and almost 900 hours on the hobbs and all of my powder coating looks almost like new. Paint just can't hold up as well. With the cost of quality paint, hardener, reducer, cleanup materials etc. it just pays to get the baffling powder coated. It won't chip and get ugly either.

Referring to my post #4, more recently I've seen some signs of the powder-coating paint on the baffles chipping.

Dave

There are varying levels or qualities of powdercoating and the prep for it. A buddy does it and has learned through hard knocks. He'll be doing mine soon now that he knows how to do an excellent job....!

I painted mine with high temp engine paint in a rattle can from NAPA/AutoZone. After five years/500 hours, they still look good. No peeling or chipping. I primed with self etching primer first, also in a rattle can.

Mine are Variprimed. For looks is all. I don't like the look of bare aluminum that has been "through the wringer" during fabrication. A little scotchbrite and prime makes 'em look great. Look like new at 200 hrs. Every reason to believe it will last much longer.

Aluminum is aluminum.... the stuff corrodes without protection.
Painted mine with flat black high temp engine rattle can paint. Takes a few minutes and weighs an oz??

Back