What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hanging party?

PeteP

Well Known Member
Hi, my name is Pete and I can't get my engine hung. Hope I don't have to start going to those meetings! Seriously, I started hanging my O320E3D today and what a bust. I got the two top bolts in but no matter what I could got get the bottom bolts to line up. At 6PM I got discussed and remove the engine and put it back on the floor for safe storage until next weekend. Any good suggestions would be appreciated and if there are others who want to share their Dynfocal stories I even be happy to hear those.

:)
Any good suggestions would be appreciated and if there are others who want to share their Dynfocal stories I even be happy to hear those.

Go to sleep Pete and don't worry. Reread a sticky how-to here on VAF and try again. Make sure you have no helpers or advisers around. It took me couple hours solo and I did walk in the park after two bolts were in.

I did it yesterday. Solo.
I used "Engine Mount Installation Alignment Pins" Avery # 282. Started the first top bolt, with the nut on only a few turns. Then the second lower left bolt nut a few turns to allow movement. The lower right bolt went fairly easily with the alignment pin. But the top right looked impossible , bolt too short and mount not centered. I lowered the engine and used the engine weight to align things. The Fourth bolt slipped in with the alignment pin.

Probably dumb luck, but I will take it.

Don't give up, take a nap then go back.

I put the mount on the engine before putting the mount on the firewall. No need to manhandle the engine, just wiggle the mount around. No alignment pins used (although I had them) and took less then an hour.

Alinment pins

Are the Avery alignment pins short enough to push then all the way thru with the engine mount bolt behind them? If so they would be great, I was actually thinking of making a set but the Avery price is cheaper and less hassel than buying the bolts and then grinding them down.

The Avery pins push through. One is short and the other is longer. The short one goes on the dip stick side and barely pushes through. By the way, once you start pushing, do not stop. A gap between the bolt and pin does not feed well.
Don't ask how I know.

An IA friend helped us. We could get three bolts in but not the fourth. Had us find a wood dowel in the hangar while he had a long screwdriver in hs hand. When I got back 20 seconds later it was all done. Seems like a trick of the trade but call a friend who has done it before.
Phelps

...what Philip said

I'd recommend you look at Philip's reply again. That is the method my local A&P recommended and it went easy as pie. First install the bolts that hold the engine mount to the engine case while the engine is on the floor. They go in very easily with no load. Then, lift the engine with the mount attached and slide the bolts in that hold the engine mount to the firewall. These holes have already been match drilled and are straight, so they line up and go in easily. Out of superstition, I waited until the engine was hung before the final torque of the engine mount bolts, but the process was fast and easy.

Hanging party additional info

I had printed out the info on http://www.vansairforce.net/articles...inehanging.htm . Followed it to the letter with the assitance of 3 other experienced builders one of which is an excellent RV-8 builder. Bottom line remians that no matter what we did following those guidelines or not, the bottom two bolt holes were both 2/3 of a bolt out of allignment and no manner of pushing, lifting, cursing or other efforts would resolve it. I even tried removing one of the top bolts and tried to get the opposing lower bolt in and got the same exact lack of alignment. The instructions in the article are wll written and very clear.... but they don't seem to work for me at this time. After a few days of reassesment I'll try agin this weekend using the Avery alignment pins that will hopefull arrive this week. But I am honestly not sure that using the same technique that I will be able to get the Avery alignment pins in. Failing this I will contact an IA friend who has hung more Lycoming that I can count and seek his advice and consent.

Hey Pete, this idea is far out in left field, so don't take offense - but you DO have a matching engine and mount right (Conical, Dynafocal 1 or Dynafocal 2)....there are so few D2 mounts out there that it is tough to find a Dynafocal that isn't a "1", but you never know...and engines can be changed!

Paul

Dynafocal 1 V 2

Paul,

Good call and no offense take. The engine is a straight O320E3D first run engine as removed from a PA28-140. I considered the Dynafocal 1 V 2 issue yesterday and check it out, even though I was sure it was a one, and yep by all accounts it is a Dynafocal 1. Further to the best of my knowledge, no 2s were ever used on PA-28s. I even considered that Vans might have sent the wrong Lord mounts but they check out by part number as well.

For lack of anything better to do I'm going to give it a couple of days break and then I'll resume and make sure I had not just made a mistake in the process.

While you are waiting to try again, here is my process.
I lifted the engine pallet and all to the work bench. I mounted the engine mount to the fuselage and to a Harbor fright engine stand. Then I lifted the engine about a foot above the work bench and installed the top left Dyna focal mount. With the alignment Pins the lower two mounts followed easily. The engine mount only weighs 10m -15 lbs so it is easy to wiggle around.

To this point I only started the nuts a few turns to allow wiggling. The top right mount was resistant to installation. After thinking about it for a few minutes, I tightened the three installed nuts snug and lifted the engine with the engine mount and installed them on the motor stand. The six engine mount to motor stand bolts slipped right in. When I lowered the hoist to allow the weight to transfer to the motor stand the last Dyna Focal lined up and the alignment pin slipped through. Total time about an hour.

I had spent a lot of time planning and preparing to do this. Mostly because, I am trying to finish the entire fuselage with engine installation in my garage. Really tight. With the engine on the motor stand i can move it out of the way , work on the firewall and wiring inside the cockpit.

I did exactly as William. I think Pete you have too much help. Leave one trusty helper and do it again early morning. The lower bolts are tricky but doable. Good luck.

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

Agree with the "too many helpers" post. I did it alone after sending everyone home. Just exactly what direction is "your other left"?

I also tried double sided scotch tape to hold the washers to the rubber mounts and then to the engine mount pads. You may have better luck than I had with that trick.

Too many cooks in the kitchen!

Vlad, I suspect you have a very valid point. So Saturday morning early I will start all over. This time I have a set of alignment pins from Avery tools and I will make sure that the rubber mounts are loose in the engine mount cup to the greatest degree possible. Hopefully the error of my previous way will become evident. Thanks to all for the helpfull and encourging comments!

No meetings for me!

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/6862/enginehang01.jpg
Well guys looks like I will not have to attend those meeting after all. Took Vlad's advice and went at it this morning alone, with a good set of engine mount alignment pins from Avery tools, and had her hanging proud by11:00 AM. Getting the cotter keys in was another story especially the top left.

Thanks againg for all the help and suggestions ....that is what makes this group so great!

Last edited:
Congratulations

Way to go. Perserverance is a great thing. You just completed a huge step forward. Seems like whenever somthing was really difficult, I was trying to force something. The advise on this sight is remarkable and time saving.

Pat Garboden
RV9A N942PT
Working on FAA inspection paperwork.

Back