What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lower Rudder Cap

mkbreezy

I am replacing the lower rudder cap on my 9-A because the back end cracked open at the bottom and the nav light was falling out.

On the new part, there are two faint molded in cut lines. I am assuming that the lower line is for the RV-9 because it lines up (sort of ) with the old part. Is that assumption correct?

Also need some ideas to mount the nav light screws so that the cover can be removed to replace the bulb without removing the rudder cap. (Not putting LED's in)

Thanks

cap

Yes on the faint lines on my -8. I epoxied the nuts in the cap for anchoring the light. happy building

bird

Tail light

To give the mounting screws on the tail strobe light something to hang onto, I fabricated a doughnut out of 1/4" flat aluminum, epoxied it inside, then drilled and tapped for the screws. Haven't flown with it yet, but it looks sturdy.

Tail Light donut for anchor screws

Ranger and Bill, please could you show photos or provide URL for photos that show the aluminum donut and how you got it on the inside of the rudder bottom cap? Much appreciated.

Excellent product

I haven't mounted it yet, but I bought an excellent tail light adapter ring from Cleveland Tools. Here's a picture of it, it should be self-explanatory:

rvtlr_lg.jpg

Here's a link to the page where you can learn more about it:

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RVTLR#.UBJivLTY8iE

Beware of believing the lines on the part.

I and several others I am aware of have installed the rudder cap, only to find that it did not align with the fuselage lower edge when installed.

Have the rudder mounted, then determine the cap position that aligns with the contour of the lower aft fuselage.

Don't ask how I know.

My lower rudder cap was very assymetrical from side to side. I did a lot of measuring before I cut out the pieces for the control arms. The scribe lines are close, but no where near perfect. I also had to trim more from the front part of the cap to get the lower part of the cap to line up with the fuselage.

1197380667_kpmTJ-M.jpg

Haven't got a tail light yet, so that end remains blank for now. Don't forget to put a 1/4" drain hole at the low point of the cap.

Drill and install a 3/16" pop rivet. Then drive out the stem and tap the body. Uou can put a dab of proseal or epoxy on the back if you wish. Works Great. Whelen's are #4. :)

Rudder Cap

I used two, threaded, hex, standoffs epoxied in place. This provides for the 4-40 screw thru the Aeroled tail light as well as a way to carry a bond wire to the airframe. The Aeroled tail light chassis bonds to the standoff with the screws and then a red lug and ground wire on the other end of one of the two standoffs.

Back