What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting the W-933 Tie Down Bar

bruceh

Well Known Member
Drawing 9, Detail B has 2 illustrations - both front and rear views of the Bell Crank and Tie Down Assembly.

Both views show the nut and washer that go through the spar and the W-933 tie down bracket. The nut and washer can't be on both sides of the spar!

Which side should I put the bolt head on? I'm assuming that the nut & washer would be on the side of the spar where the access plates are in order to verify they are still torqued and attached.

I can't imagine that I'm the first person to find this error in the drawings.

Thanks!

You are right

Drawing 9 does show the nut and washer on both front and rear views. For what it's worth, I mounted mine with the bolt head on the front and the nut and washer on the rear for the same reason you stated (you can see it through the inspection plate). The aileron linkage isn't installed yet, so I'm waiting to see if the bolts stick out too far and get in the way of something.

When in doubt, put the bolt in from the front or top and tighten the nut, not the bolt.

That said, after looking at some pictures of my installation, I did put the bolts in from the front, with the nuts visible in inspection hole.

Don't forget to torque seal the nuts after you torque them.

Same here, Bolt from the front, nuts on the back
DSC03784.JPG

DSC03783.JPG

By the way : don't attach the aileron brackets, you'll need to unscrew them anyway to install the axle and bellcrank.

It is odd that Van's would put the bellcrank brackets on at this stage. I can see that there would be no way to get the long bolt for the bellcrank down past the spar flange.

Thanks for the advice.

Back