What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How thick is the duckworks leading edge mounting plate?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hi All-

Does anybody know how thick the sheet metal is on the duckworks (or similar) leading edge landing light kit? I'm talking about the aluminum sheet stock that spans rib to rib that the lights actually get mounted on.

I've got some .025 scrap that I'm looking to put to good use and could just roll my own, but not sure if it needs to be a little more robust for vibration and whatnot.

Thanks,

Terry

Not 025

It?s definitely not 025... I will have to measure but it?s at least 032 and might even be 040...

I will measure when I get back to the shop and post if it hasn?t already...

Hi All-

Does anybody know how thick the sheet metal is on the duckworks (or similar) leading edge landing light kit? I'm talking about the aluminum sheet stock that spans rib to rib that the lights actually get mounted on.

I've got some .025 scrap that I'm looking to put to good use and could just roll my own, but not sure if it needs to be a little more robust for vibration and whatnot.

Thanks,

Terry

Roll your own. However 0.032 is typically min gauge but 0.040 is typical for making a light duty bracket assuming a light weight LED.

When I built my RV-6 I made my own leading edge landing lights, everything including the bracket, cutout surround flange (one peice), and lens. The lens was flush with the skin. I bought sheet of Lexan and made a form. Covered with fine flannel fabric. I cut Lexan sheet out to size for each lens, out in oven and laid it over the form. I over cooked the first try. Got Lexan too soft. Once I got the temp right I made a few lenses for LH and RH sides. My bracket was built up with sheet metal angle, rivets and sheet and nut plates. It was slick. It was in the late 80's so I used one of those big rectangular car lights that were popular in the day. Now with super bright LED's my RV-7 has everything in the wing tip.

With that said in time and money you are better to buy a kit... However for learning and fun DIY roll your own is easy and fun. You might save a few bucks but the time to make it all yourself will be X 10.

Last edited:
Agree that buying the kit is a lot easier. Already has all the bits you need as well as ease of getting a replacement lens if needed.

With that said, it's just .032 stock. If you have a bending brake and want to "roll your own", then go for it. Learning to form plexi is also kinda interesting. Time and materials will most certainly be more than the kit, but sometimes it's not about that $$'s.

Post pics of what you come up with if you go down the DIY route.

Well.... on my RV-3B, the Duckworks plexi fit great but the landing light mounting plate didn't fit at all. I made a carbon and fiberglass mount that also holds the stall warning switch. The carbon is kite spar, sourced from www.intothewind.com, a local company.

nkjkica.jpg

The light is a Microsun. Maintenance access is via the removable wing tip.

Dave

Last edited:
In various planes, I've installed halogen, HID & LED lights to the stock .032 Ductworks brackets which handled the loads fine, including oversized 6000 lumen units (tryin to blind those controllers), gone as far as bending up oversized (wider) acrylic lenses for the big units too.

David- how do you adjust pitch in your installation?

Back