What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step Bracket - WD-1008

ADub

I started in on Section 30 installing the steps. The WD-1008 bracket has some surface rust on the inside. I noticed the brackets the main landing gear legs slide into also have some surface rust on the inside where not powder coated.

What is the best way to protect the inside of these brackets?

thanks!

I'm basically at the same point. I was planning to prime the steps (inside and outside) similar to what I did with the pushrods. I think the plans mention you need to prime the step and touch up anything that scratches off when you do your "final" install. for the step bracket itself, I was also planning to scuff with scotchbright and prime as well.

Honestly plan to NOT install the steps yet so I don't trip over them too much. Just have to work out how long I can put off installing the floor skin.

My steps are primed and installing them scratched some of the primer off, because of tight fit. I will need to remove material from inside the WD-1008 to allow room to add pimer inside and have the step slide back in. I will head that direction but wondered if there is a better way.

I fitted my steps as-is and, while in place, marked where they bear in the plastic. Then I took them to a powder-coater who beaded any rust off of them before masking and coating them. When I got them back, I wiped the bare area that had been masked with gun oil. When I installed them, I cleaned them and gave them a final application of oil (fingerprints aren't just oily and can leave contaminants that start corrosion). The steps on my RV-6A that were just coated with primer have shown some areas of rust where the primer has worn thin, easy to remove and re-prime. However, I have been using the steps on the RV-10 while working in the fuselage for the past few years and they show no sign of wear or corrosion.

Forgot to mention about the gear leg sockets. It should be fairly easy to remove any surface rust there and on the gear legs with emery paper. Then gun bore cleaner followed by a light oil application. Again, avoid fingerprints.

Last edited:
Back