What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Backriveting elevator stiffeners

NavyS3BNFO

Well Known Member
I wanted to get some advice on technique when backriveting the stiffeners to the elevators. Specifically when I set the rivets closest to the trailing edge bend, the mfg head on some of the rivets end up slightly proud of the skin ? enough to catch my fingernail.

I think it?s because when riveting the rivets closest to the trailing edge, you have to bend the skin out of the way to make room for the gun and backrivet set and it?s hard to keep the skin flat on the backrivet plate. That leaves just enough room for the rivet to sit proud of the skin when set.

Looking for any advice on how to improve my technique so the rivets sit nice and flush. I?ve drilled out a reset a couple but I?m still not in love with the results.

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
The same thing happened to my first elevator. I also completely messed up the drillout and re-riveting.

I ended up replacing the skin. The replacement had less bend and I also let the skin 'rest' a little after unpacking, the bend was nearly 90 deg the next day, giving ample access to back rivet the stifferners.

One option you could try is to use some wood on each side of the stifferner, get a helper, some clamps or your knees to hold the wood/skin down on the back riveting plate while you push the skin aside for access.

Yep, push down hard on the stiffener/lower skin and use your head and/or shoulder (or knee, or all of the above!) to hold the upper skin back. Easiest to do all this on the floor. Bleed as necessary. Have fun!

Bounce

A little bounce in your table will also cause/exacerbate this problem. If your table isn't really, really stiff try back riveting some practice pieces directly over a table leg. Also try some with the back rivet plate on the concrete floor for comparison.

The stiffness of your table makes a difference.

Back