What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Disaster!

paul330

Well Known Member
So, today was supposed to be a great day - move the aircraft to the hangar for final assembly. A colleague loaned me a trailer but, unfortunately, it wasn't quite wide enough. So, I decided to take off one gear leg and build a dolly to transport it. It worked out really well until we were half way up the trailer. At that stage, we had to remove the dolly because of the geometry with the trailer ramp. I had some big strong boys so we thought we could support the weight temporarily. Unfortunately, as we moved the aircraft up the trailer, it tipped back suddenly under the weight and we lost control. The aircraft tipped off the side of the trailer and ended up on its side in the driveway.

I was just speechless - my beautiful fuselage dead in my drive......

With an engine hoist, we managed to get it back upright and with more care and support got it on the trailer and to the airport.

So what was the damage?

- Left step slightly bent - easily fixable provided the underlying structure hasn't been bent
- Some scuffing on the left door Perspex - should polish out OK
- One rocker cover bent - new one OK provided it hasn't damaged the valve gear underneath
- Worst looking is the front fuselage skin behind the lower engine mount. An area about 6" by 4" is buckled. Looking at it, I don't think the underlying structure is damaged (probably one of the strongest parts of the aircraft). If so, I should be able to splice in some new skin with a doubler.

All in all, it could have been a lot worse. We managed to control the fall and it more sort of rolled off rather than dropped. I have had a couple of stiff drinks and will go back tomorrow to check it out closer and make sure I haven't missed any other damage.

So, beware. When you move your aircraft, it is a lot heavier and more cumbersome than you think. Make sure everything in chocked and blocked so it can't move. Don't think you can support anything by hand however strong your team. I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I have today.

I do not drink, but if that happened to me probably I would start. Hopefully it will not be so bad and you'll get it fixed soon.

Sorry to hear this Paul. I have been thinking about my move to the airport which should be within 3 weeks. Deciding whether to use a trailer like we did with the Cozy MKIV or hire a flatbed wrecker with a winch and rolling/tilting bed. Flatbed it is. Doesn't sound like your damages were too bad though so be grateful for that. Its a setback for sure but you will be more determined than ever now to get it done.

The aircraft tipped off the side of the trailer and ended up on its side in the driveway.

Oh my, I'm so sorry Paul. I'm glad you didn't include a picture, because the one I have in my mind is haunting enough. Like Ron, I don't drink, but I'm spooked enough by your story that I'm tempted to take it up on your behalf!

--
Stephen

lower longerons?

Oh that's a bummer. I can see how things would go quickly from all fine to disaster. And who knows how many of us have narrowly escaped similar fate.

If the skin buckled near the firewall, please inspect carefully the longerons. They are very critical, and easily bent by side impacts. Might need to replace whole fwd-lower longeron?

When I was putting my wings on, a gust came and started to blow one of the wings off the rack... I caught it just in time. I feel for you man.

If the skin buckled near the firewall, please inspect carefully the longerons. They are very critical, and easily bent by side impacts. Might need to replace whole fwd-lower longeron?

Thanks. I realize the importance of the lower longeron and am really hoping it isn't damaged. Replacing that would be a huge job. As I said, it didn't take a big impact and it looks like the skin has just crumpled around the longeron when the curved bottom corner contacted the ground. I'll know more in a few hours when, instead of fitting the HS/VS and wings, I'll be de-riveting and cutting away the skin.............:(

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Paul.

Where are you going to be assembling the airframe?

A builder

A builder told me early on in the build to never go cheap, never go half a$$ on supporting the fues, or supporting wings or moving to airport. Build the proper supports, pay for the right truck.

Made good sense to me and was good advice. Very sorry to hear of your bad luck...as I read the start of the first paragraph....the story was really starting to sound nasty PRIOR to the accident. It sounded like one of those ...."watch this" type of plans that just arently likely to work out well.

Hope all turns out ok and others learn from that and dont try similar loading ideas.

I cant even imagine the feeling when that happened.

Last edited:
Uffffff

Wow. So sorry to hear that.

For those who are in the Northern/central Cal area, we have a trailer that has been modified to carry aircraft safely. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need it.

I almost had a similar incident during unloading. When the tow truck operator tilted the bed, I was supporting the plane from the front. I slipped on some oil that was on the steel truck bed and the plane started to roll off the side. A friend who was guiding the tail, stopped it from going off the side. It rolled straight off the bed very quickly. :eek:
Lesson learned! Use a winch!

Photos?

...<SNIP>...For those who are in the Northern/central Cal area, we have a trailer that has been modified to carry aircraft safely. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need it.

For those of us who are too far away to use it, would you mind sharing photos of the subject trailer, showing specifically the modifications you mention? Thanks!

Thanks for all the messages of support and sympathy.

I cut out the damaged skin today and all is well underneath. So it's not too much of a job to splice in a new piece of skin. My LAA inspector is coming over tomorrow to give advice.

I also damaged one of the exhaust tailpipes that shouldn't be an expensive part - either fabricated locally or new from Vetterman.

All-in-all, I have come out of this not too badly. After cutting away the damage this morning, we then managed to get on with some real work. We should have the tail and wings on by the end of the week so feeling a lot better tonight.

As people have alluded to, it was a half-assed plan to start with which is why I have posted this to warn others. As everybody suggests, get the right kit. The whole fuselage assembly (especially on a -10) is just too heavy and cumbersome to do anything else. Just glad I didn't have the prop on :eek:

And Ed, I am assembling at Kemble. I have space in Hangar 5, Woodside.

which is why I have posted this to warn others
Paul,

Thank you for posting this. I'm only 21 hours into an RV-10 build and my stomach sank reading this. This is one more lesson I won't have to learn for myself in the School of Hard Knocks.

Looking forward to reading of your first flight.

All the best.

Jeff

That was hard to read.

As it slowly tipped over, did your entire build process flash before your eyes? :)

Glad to hear it's fixable closer to the "easy" end of the spectrum than the "impossible" end.

So Sorry to Read About the Accident

I know you received a hard punch in the gut from this. On final assembly while alone and tired I dropped my left alieron on the concrete floor, exactly on the corner and bent the **** out of it. Paint chipped and cracked. Took a week to repair and repaint and I felt rotten. I cannot imagine how painful a tip over off the trailer could be. Good luck pal, we are all with you. Bill RV-8A Bluebird

As I read your post I could absolutely see that happening to me and it probably would have crushed my motivation....

Being as I'm active duty USMC, my RV-10 has more miles on the ground than most will probably ever see. I started it in Yuma AZ, and it has been to Norfolk VA, Quantico VA, Jacksonville NC, is currently in Monterey CA, and will be moving to Albany GA sometime next year.

I had it almost fall off the homemade wooden ramps getting it into the back of a Penske truck (I bought a flatbed trailer after that move so I'd never again have to try to get it 5 feet up in the air). I had my wooden wing stands collapse in the back of another Penske while turning a corner before I had it loaded with anything but the wings. Big loud crash, but the only damage was to crinkle the inboard edge of one flap. I've had my helpers disappear several times just as I started sliding it off the trailer, so the bottom tip of my tailcone has some rash from the concrete. I've learned to wrap it in blankets before loading/unloading now...

I'll second the poster who said don't go cheap on transport or anything else that if it fails you're going to do damage to the project. It's a bummer when anything you put that much work into gets damaged, but I'm glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Good luck on getting it fixed and getting back on track.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 40032

Life goes on

Quick update.

- Rear Step. Minor bend up. No damage to support structure. Leave it and let it bend back down with use or consider straightening.
- Left door window. Minor scuffing. Scratch polish kit arrived.
- Rocker cover - new one ordered from Aerosport
- Exhaust dents. Limited to left tailpipe rear of muffler. Local company repairing.
- Skin damage. Area cut out and underlying structure inspected - no damage. Repair scheme agreed with LAA inspector and paperwork going in later this week for approval.

Considering the fuselage was on its side in my drive on Sunday, I feel remarkably lucky. Total cost will be about $300 and half a day's work for 2.

From feeling totally sick, I now have the HS and VS fitted and am moving on. Being at the airfield is great - lots going on. Much more fun than being in the garage. Kemble is one of the major GA fields in the UK. Will have the wings on by the end of the week.

The support from everybody has been great - be careful out there!

Back