What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High Density D-sub Crimp Tool

sjjonesnz

Well Known Member
Man, this project is all little things slowing us down!! I've got ~15 pins that I need to add to the d-sub connectors going into the back of my PMA8000B and GNS430W, and I can't put the panel in until they're done.

I have the 4-way indent crimper from Stein for the normal d-sub connectors, do I really need to get the (very expensive) AFM8 type as well?

What cheaper/easier alternatives are there?

It might depend on the size of wire you are using. I got a single tool for crimping D-Sub pins, not sure what model it is though. It crimps high and normal density D-Sub pins just fine - and as a bonus I was able to use it to successfully crimp the tip covers on several BNC fittings. It required a little jiggling after crimping to remove the pin from the crimper - was a bit worried it might be stuck forever!

I'm fairly certain it was this one, which is found on this page.

Edit / Note: if you are using very fine gage wire in the pins, I'm not certain it would crimp the high density ones "tight enough." I don't remember the exact gage wire I used, but the strands completely filled the hole (getting old, had to use magnifying glasses to insure all the strands actually went in the hole).

You want to use a Daniels AFM8 crimper with a K41 or K42 positioner. You can get it used on ebay or new from the usual avionics places.

You want to use a Daniels AFM8 crimper with a K41 or K42 positioner. You can get it used on ebay or new from the usual avionics places.

So, the Daniels crimper plus two positioners = $455. The other one is $31.

I don't know - I pulled pretty hard on my high density pins and they wouldn't slip after crimping with the $31 tool. They also inserted (and, when I cleverly put them in the wrong holes, easily extracted) without issue.

Caveat emptor.

Crimper

Have also used the $31 crimper on the small barrel pins and havn't been able to pull the wire out in a pull test. FWIW that is what I use....

I would say if they pass the pull test and your not in mass production mode, they will be fine with the cheap tool.

Fold back and double up, if necessary.

If the wire is to small, you can always fold it back and double up, even partially, if necessary, to fill the pin some more. After a positive pull test I would not worry about it. (or would that be a negative pull test??, i.e. it was not possible to pull the wire out!), Anyway, you know what I mean.

Regards, Tonny.

I used the 4-way $31 model as well. If you were doing an entire panel with lots of glass and hundreds of pins, then the Daniels tool might be worth it. For a handfull of pins the $31 tool did me just fine.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

31 dollar crimper

Just a note,
If you are using the Deutz connectors anywhere on your plane, (Very good waterproof shell and pin) The little crimper will crimp those buggers perfectly with just a slight depth adjustment. I use these a lot at my day job as an auto mechanic. The official tool from deutz costs a weeks salary!! I've crimped a zillion of them with that little crimper. Tougher than it looks!!!!
Lancair guys use a lot of them, see www.aerocraftparts.com for a selection of shells and pins

Regards,
Chris

Just a note,
If you are using the Deutz connectors anywhere on your plane, (Very good waterproof shell and pin)

Thanks for the information. (I assume you're talking about the Deutsch connectors?) I'd never heard of them before, but they look pretty good for the wing-to-fuselage connectors I need.

I've been planning to use standard Molex connectors for the wing attachments, unless someone can convince me otherwise :)

Deutsch,,,Deutsch...

Sorry about the spelling. Certainly nothing wrong with Molex connectors, but they are not waterproof. These connectors are, and I used them in all of my "wet" locations. Rudder bottom, wingtips, and wing connects. Very pleased.
Surprised more builders don't use them. Stein says he is considering a few on his present project. Maybe he will start stocking them for us!!

All the best,
Chris

The AMP circular plastic connectors work well for behind the panel and for wing-body connectors. They are less expensive than the Deutsch connectors, but not waterproof though. More info here: http://www.verticalpower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634

cpc.gif

Just a note,
If you are using the Deutz connectors anywhere on your plane, (Very good waterproof shell and pin) The little crimper will crimp those buggers perfectly with just a slight depth adjustment. I use these a lot at my day job as an auto mechanic. The official tool from deutz costs a weeks salary!! I've crimped a zillion of them with that little crimper. Tougher than it looks!!!!
Lancair guys use a lot of them, see www.aerocraftparts.com for a selection of shells and pins

Regards,
Chris

This is very interesting. Does that mean i can use my AFM8 to crimp the Deutsche DT pins as well? Assume it would need a different insert? I would actually prefer those over Molex.

This is very interesting. Does that mean i can use my AFM8 to crimp the Deutsche DT pins as well? Assume it would need a different insert? I would actually prefer those over Molex.

DT or DTM. Personally reserve the AFM8 for avionics only and use a generic crimper for the Deustch. I love the Deutsch connectors. Easy to install, de-pin, positive lock and weatherproof.

DT or DTM. Personally reserve the AFM8 for avionics only and use a generic crimper for the Deustch. I love the Deutsch connectors. Easy to install, de-pin, positive lock and weatherproof.

Hmm, okay that tool is cheap comparably but if you got the high grade one, why not use it? Assuming that the pins have the same dimensions, or not maybe there is n different insert for the AFM8? But then this will probably cost more than the whole Deutsch tool lol.

Back