What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any value in a Continental O-470-U , 230 hp and a 2 blade prop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

riobison

Well Known Member
I?m looking at buying a 1973 C-180 with the Continental O-470-U , 230 hp and a 2 blade prop.

It hasn?t been flown in over 15+- yrs. Stored in the NW in a dry climate. No damage history but it hasn?t been preserved either. The cost to bring it up to airworthy status after cleaning out the mice, replacing the fuel bladders, avionics etc might be cost prohibited and a lot of work. Log books are still available I believe.

So, I?m thinking of buying it and parting it out.

Any idea on what the engine and the prop would bring? I realize that that as a least the engine would probably need a good inspection to insure there was no corrosion.

The prop, who knows what they would find.

Suggestions?
Thanks
Tim

I would guess that engine and prop might be good for core only (at best). After so long they both probably have significant corrosion.

I don't know about your part of the world but you might find there's reasonably good demand for a 180 either as a project or restored, paricularly with the bush flyers. I'd do the research, have it properly inspected and quoted, and have a good look at the numbers before deciding. Parting it out might be a sad end to a good aircraft unless the airframe and engine are beyond economical repair. If you find there's value in the aircraft you could broker a sale and take a cut for your efforts.

I would spend the money for a thorough inspection before buying it. I would think there is a good chance it might be a good deal. Old Cessna 180's with no damage history and that have been stored in a hanger as you state I believe are very rare around here.

As a 180 owner, I'd love to watch this thread grow.

But as an RV-3 builder, I have to admit that there's no perceptible RV content here. It should be in a more suitable place rather than VAF.

Dave

This is a sad story but if they are going to rebuild that, either there is a lot of value in 180's, or a lot of emotion wrapped up in that plane.

To make it RV related, I sent this to Doug the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back