What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SF Sport Aviation AC w/ Aerosport overhead

clutch22

Well Known Member
Has Anyone installed the Aerosport overhead console with SF Sport Aviation's Air conditioning system?
I like SFSA's A/C system and have spoken with people who have installed, but I prefer the Aerosport overhead to theirs.

SFSA's AC has large oval ducts for the air supply and return. Seems like I'd probably have to get pretty creative with some fiberglass to adapt that shape to a couple 2" duct flanges that most people use with the Aerosport O/H console.

Andrew,

I am in the process of permanently installing my SFSA overhead console, although I'm not planning to use their air conditioner. The aerosport overhead console requires you to cut holes in the large rib and bulkhead to penetrate into the tailcone and hook up your 2" ducts. The SFSA overhead has a larger profile at the very back, in order to lower the duct penetration below the structural rib. For duct connections, you need to fabricate something to attach to. However, I found this very easy to do. I simply used a flat piece of fiberglass scrap (lots of people use a piece of aluminum) cut to the shape of the overhead's opening, then cut two 2" holes in it, and glued (glassed) the plastic duct attach pieces that Vans includes in the NACA scoop sets (which you need anyway) and glued the hole thing to the opening in the overhead. Once it all dried, it's one piece now. Insert the overhead into place, sliding the duct section through the cut-out in the bulkhead's removable panel, then hook up the ducts and you're good. The SFSA overhead was cheaper than the Aerosport one, and it comes with all the lights, switches and vents included. Another thing I liked was the SFSA overhead has a return air duct to the tailcone, to move the hot air and extra pressure out of the cabin. That's another reason why I chose it. Hope this helps you make your decision.

Andrew,

…Another thing I liked was the SFSA overhead has a return air duct to the tailcone, to move the hot air and extra pressure out of the cabin. That's another reason why I chose it. Hope this helps you make your decision.

My experience has been that the 10 is pretty leaky. The rear bulkhead is corrugated so there is constantly air being sucked out the back of the plane.

I don’t care for the SFSA overhead either … I’d figure out a way to adapt their air conditioning system to pipe the cold air into the Aerosport overhead.

I don’t care for the SFSA overhead either … I’d figure out a way to adapt their air conditioning system to pipe the cold air into the Aerosport overhead.

To each their own. Both are nice and an upgrade to stock (no overhead).

My experience has been that the 10 is pretty leaky.

This must be variable a bit. I used MC seals on the doors and took several steps to seal up all air ingress points on the fuse. I did my phase I in winter and often had no vents open and no heat on - There was virtually NO air movement in the cabin. It seemed like completely still air. The 6, OTOH, has a serious amount of air flow, even with sealing efforts.

IMHO, with effort, they can be very well sealed up. I fly a lot in the winter and took the effort on to ensure that my heat was fully effective after freezing my rump off in the 6.

Larry

Last edited:
Back