What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3A Instrument Panel dimensions

frankd

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi RV-3 crew,

I am doing some upgrades to a recently acquired RV-3A. A few questions:

1 Is the instrument panel the same dimension as the RV-4? If not does anyone have a dxf or similar dimensional file?

2 How difficult is the CN-2 MOD to do with the wings removed?

3 Does someone have a W&B Spreadsheet template?

Many Thanks,
Frank

Panel is not the same.

PM me your email address. I have a pdf and dxf here.

(Test on paper first, these are very hand-built aircraft. They are all slightly different)

Panel

I move mine forward several inches. It gave me a lot more room to get in and out. A photo of it is in another post for Projects.

RV-3 Panel

Hans, I sent a pm with my gmail, frankdombroski.

Do you have any detail on the forward movement of the panel and flat dimension on the new panel space?

Using that picture of the panel from the plans, the curve isn't smooth. There's a thread somewhere in the RV-3 section, maybe about plans errors, that discusses this.

Dave

Hi RV-3 crew,

2 How difficult is the CN-2 MOD to do with the wings removed?

Many Thanks,
Frank

Quite a bit of work.
You have to drill out enough wing skin rivets to be able to fold back the skin (can use duct tape to keep it folded back) to give you access to drill out rivets and replace with bolts and set 3/16" rivets. I managed to set mine with a 3x rivet gun using a very heavy block of steel as bucking bar. This is not a one weekend project! Are you going to do serious aerobatics (more than 3 to 4 Gs)? If not, I'd consider leaving it alone.

Finn

Back