What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax 912 ULS Fuel PSI

RV12Pilot

My RV-12 with the Rotax 912 ULS engine was completed in 2013, I am not the builder of the Rv-12. I’m noticing high fuel pressure readings; ie approaching the red line - 6.5 and greater, usually 5.4 - 5.7.
July 2021 my mechanic replaced the fuel pressure sender - with Kavilco v2. 1/8-27 NPT, 15 PSI.
I have the Skyview classic EFIS
Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Charlie

When was the last time the fuel pump was replaced?
Purge the fuel return line.
Disconnect the fuel line from the sender and pump fuel with the electric pump into a container to try and purge any air and confirm no obstruction.
These are the things that come to mind. My 12 started flying in 2013 also and since I installed a newer (now 5 years old) fuel pump the reads have been higher than with the original pump. Sometimes going up to near 6 psi which is in my caution (yellow) range on the Skyview HDX.

I don’t think the fuel pump has been replaced; I’ll review the logs to confirm.

Thank you for your suggestions; I’ll give them to my mechanic.

Charlie

The very first thing to do is to connect a known accurate pressure gauge to measure what the fuel pressure actually is.
There is no sense in trying to fix a problem that does not exist.

I have a 2010 RV12, I have noticed mine while in cruise be anywhere from 4.8-7 psi, I have the D180 system, I see it as just a quirk of the system. I have replaced the sending unit, I don't have the Klavico type but the older VDO, its not all over the place but eventually settles down, I don't pay it much attention. Cruising at 5400-5450 gets me 5.6-6 gal an hour after refueling.

Actually, fuel pressure on high end of spec is better for vapor lock. I installed the new higher pressure electric fuel pump after I experienced vapor lock on takeoff and almost had a really bad day. Turned out to be a bad laundry day instead, if you catch my drift…

Back