What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pouring Tea While Rolling

fun

Wow, you guys are makin me crazy. Now, I want some milk and cookies at 8,000 feet But, the fog is so thick I can't see the end of my driveway.
What fun we airplane buffs have.
Thanks Art

Bob Hoover

Anybody else have memories of Bob Hoover? He did this in an Aero Commander about 50 years ago.
Now will someone try Bob Hoover’s version of the “Tennessee Waltz?” :)

Anybody else have memories of Bob Hoover? He did this in an Aero Commander about 50 years ago.
Now will someone try Bob Hoover’s version of the “Tennessee Waltz?” :)

Saw him at LVK about 38 years ago. The finale - low pass, 8 point roll, loop, land - all with both engines feathered, is something you never forget. And then he rolls right up to the crowd, engines still off, and hops out wearing a straw hat!

Saw him at LVK about 38 years ago. The finale - low pass, 8 point roll, loop, land - all with both engines feathered, is something you never forget. And then he rolls right up to the crowd, engines still off, and hops out wearing a straw hat!

Watched him do this at the Avalon Airshow in Australia sometime back in the 90's, I watched in awe and with some trepidation, I was convinced that thing was going to fall out of the sky and it was going to be the end of Bob. I won't forget watching him and regret at the time I didn't really appreciate who he was.

Russell

When I was in primary flight training at NAS Corpus Christi some decades ago, my instructor would sit in the back seat, slide the canopy open, light a cigarette and set his open coke on his glare shield.

He would then direct me to do all my acro... barrel rolls, loops, etc and threatened to beat me senseless if I spilled his Coke!

I'm no Bob Hoover, but on the other hand he never had bad acro as an excuse to rough me up!

Go Navy!!!

Watched him do this at the Avalon Airshow in Australia sometime back in the 90's, I watched in awe and with some trepidation, I was convinced that thing was going to fall out of the sky and it was going to be the end of Bob. I won't forget watching him and regret at the time I didn't really appreciate who he was.

Russell

I second this thought. Thank you Bob.

I seem to remember it was '79 in KPIA airshow, the date is fuzzy, but the images of that Shrike routine were frozen in my brain, just as you describe!!

Hoover

I watched the Shrike routine many times from the early 70's thru the last of his Oshkosh shows. My recollection for the finale is a high speed dive to show center, shut down both engines, then a loop, then the 8 point roll and deadstick landing. I first saw Bob fly in the P51 at Rockford in the early to mid 60's, also the F86 a few years later.
Steve Hinton got his start in warbirds ferrying the F86 for Bob.

Hoover

I saw Bob's Shrike routine in the early '70's at KLAW - it was amazing.
FWIW, a neighbor of mine is the engineer who installed the extra (6 or 8?) accumulators that allowed Bob to lower the gear, etc. with the engines off.

Back