What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

All You Riblet Guys

330Jock

Well Known Member
After botching one trim tab already, I think I'm ready to come over to the dark side and use riblets. Besides, I think they look so much more professional and sharp. One question, has anybody called Van's and asked if they would sign off on riblets? I've seen lots of posts but I don't remember seeing anything about the mother ship!

I didn't even try to bend.

You know, I never did ask Van's that question, but as someone totally unqualified to judge, they seem pretty substantial to me! :rolleyes:

Trim Tab

I feel you would be better served as a builder to persist in getting the trim tab right per the design plans (I agree either way will serve the purpose) as further on in the build you will encounter similar tasks that may seem impossible, but many have done it successfully before. Improving your skills now on a cheap part will save money down the road. My 2c.

I fabricated riblets, and it's probably just as large a challenge as bending per the plans. Either way you go, you will learn new skills that will help you down the road.

After botching one trim tab already, I think I'm ready to come over to the dark side and use riblets. Besides, I think they look so much more professional and sharp. One question, has anybody called Van's and asked if they would sign off on riblets? I've seen lots of posts but I don't remember seeing anything about the mother ship!

I just bought a couple of elevator ribs, chopped the rear ends off, and made riblets from them. Found it easier, it looks like the rest of the elevator, and I would do it the same way again.

Bending Was Easy

I used this tool and the bending went real well. Can't see what the fuss is all about.

31MouDI4k9L.jpg

It's a Malco S3, and Amazon sells them. Very good tool.

Place the tool flange on the bend line and bend. No thinking needed.

Incidentally, I did have difficulty with the trim tab but the side flanges were never an issue.

Dave
RV-3B

Anyone having trouble with their trim tabs can send them to me and for $30.00 I'll assemble them as per plans.

Riblets?

Every time I see this title, I get suckered again into checking it out. There are two other accepted uses for the term "riblet". I don't know how accepted the term is as used in this thread, meaning "small rib".

Riblets are microgrooves on a surface, oriented parallel to the flow, that reduce turbulent skin friction. 3M makes an adhesive film that has the riblets in it. Put it on your fuselage, you might go faster.

There was also a guy, Harry Riblett, who did a lot of airfoil design for GA airplanes. Some of his airfoils look surprisingly similar to some of mine (which is to say, I think he knew what he was doing:cool:)

So when I see a title like "riblet guys", I think it is one of these two.

How about if we call the little end rib on a trim tab a "ribino"? and the plural would be "ribini".

Steve,
Thanks so much for your helpful post! I don't presume to be an Aeronautical Engineer as you are so proud of in your post. I am just a regular guy trying to build a freekin airplane. I was not born with your intellect or skill, however I did hear a waitress at Ruby Tuesday say that if you cut one of those ribs in half you would have a riblet! So her expert opinion counts for me.

Great idea!

I just bought a couple of elevator ribs, chopped the rear ends off, and made riblets from them. Found it easier, it looks like the rest of the elevator, and I would do it the same way again.

I did use some aluminum of the same thickness as the elevator ribs in mine. I assumed it to be ok structurally for that reason. Even though I have a bending brake, it was tricky, I might go the above method if I did it again.

Back