What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS-710 HS-714

jdcoleman73

I'm New Here
Hello Everyone,

I am a new proud owner of an RV7 Tail Kit. Of course I am asking guidance for my first of many questions. I was reviewing the second step in the Front Spar assembly. The directions call for all the holes inboard the bend line to be "drilled/matched drilled". I see per the plans, they are all drilled with a #30 except the plans say for 2 of the holes for the hs-710 and hs-714 to be enlarged to 3/16". "ENLARGE/DRILL 3/16 DIA IN ASSEMBLY WITH FUSELAGE, 4 PLACES". Do I use a 3/16" drill bit, or should I use a #12 as previously used in the rear horizontal spar assembly on the elevator hinge assembly (HS-411). Or do I not do anything with these holes?

Thank you for the help you have already given me by reading your posts, and any help in this matter.

Jack

Hello Everyone,

I am a new proud owner of an RV7 Tail Kit. Of course I am asking guidance for my first of many questions. I was reviewing the second step in the Front Spar assembly. The directions call for all the holes inboard the bend line to be "drilled/matched drilled". I see per the plans, they are all drilled with a #30 except the plans say for 2 of the holes for the hs-710 and hs-714 to be enlarged to 3/16". "ENLARGE/DRILL 3/16 DIA IN ASSEMBLY WITH FUSELAGE, 4 PLACES". Do I use a 3/16" drill bit, or should I use a #12 as previously used in the rear horizontal spar assembly on the elevator hinge assembly (HS-411). Or do I not do anything with these holes?

Thank you for the help you have already given me by reading your posts, and any help in this matter.

Jack

Here is a good source of information produced by The EAA on sheet metal working.

EAA Videos

I would drill all the holes with a #30 and then use a 3/16 for the appropriate holes. Others may another opinion.

Welcome to VAF Jack, I hope you enjoy building your 7.

Last edited:
Jack,

When the instructions say to "drill in assembly", you should wait until the horizontal stab is on the fuselage and aligned. Then drill to final size.

Brian

As the post before says Jack.

Never drill a hole that you are supposed to drill in assembly with another part until you are about to mate them together.

Drilling in advance creates the risk that you won't be able to get it all perfectly aligned later and that you will have to elongate the holes.And that is never ever good. The word matchdrilling means that you make a perfect snug alignment of both parts in their final position.

The front spar alignment with the fuselage only comes when you have the fuselage completed. There will be many hours passed by by then and you will be a lot more experienced.

Build on and have fun !

Back