What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine start- no wings

rvdave

Well Known Member
Would like to get an engine start but don't have wings on yet, wondering if that's a bad idea regarding torque and opposite forces? Anyone done that?

40jYSPYxiAZiceuEgZa1Adpl5Rn25I35_lg.jpg

Try using the search function.

I'm on the "you can do it, but" side.

You probably still have a long way to go before your first flight, do you really want to have your engine sit idle for a long time?

Last edited:
Someone always posts this; this time its me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6M3A4ImsjQ

Perhaps...

-jon

Yep, but not really an issue for RVs per se. If you read the comments on youtube, one of the posters was there and stated: "it was a combination of failed internals in the locking pins in the landing gear box, inaccurate hydraulic pressure readings, lack of weight on the gear from not having the wings on, and operator discretion - for which he paid for out of his own pocket to repair."

IMO based upon the other issues that are mentioned in the guy's post, even if they had had the wings on, that engine run was doomed from the start.

Last edited:
I agree, if the OP had an RV-10RG, then this might be an issue.

My comment was directed at the specific Lancair incident in the video not being particularly relevant to the discussion at hand regarding RV-10s. I believe there's no up side to running the engine on a fuse without wings and still don't recommend it. YMMV....

Not to mention...

My builders insurance ceases to cover anything once fuel is in the lines. Also, I don't know what engine you have but you might check when the warranty starts. The company I plan on using has a warranty that begins at the first engine run.

Just sayin'...

We ran our 7 without wings at our workshop because it is 30 miles away from the assembly field and was ready to go.

I wanted to troubleshoot the main systems while we still had workshop facilities right there.

Found a dead P-Mag because I changed out a previous Mag setup and forgot to remove the impulse spacer from one side.

Saved me some trouble.

Be sensible, ask yourself why you may want to start without wings, is the project ready, can you troubleshoot at your build location etc etc.

Above all, read previous threads, check for security, only run at low power for just as long as you need to check systems, then get it built up and go fly !

BTW,

What primer did you use, I am starting a new project and am a little unsure which one to use :D:D;)

Well it's not like I have to absolutely start it right now, but I am getting close to being inspected and will be flying this year. One problem I have is that I rent a small hanger with two airplanes in it, one without wings so that it will fit there. With all the input though I will probably wait for an engine start which is really why asked the question, so appreciate the input. I have to sell one of the planes and would rather keep the 10 so I just bought some wheel Jack/dollies to maneuver around support columns that are getting in my way. I know though, when I had my last airplane inspected they wanted to see the engine running so I will have to start it sometime before inspection to make sure everything works OK.

Back