What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best way to make larger instrument holes in existing panel?

Far North Texan

I am in the process of saying goodbye to my old Isspro fuel quantity, and oil temp/pressure gages. I am going to replace them with electronics intnl. guages.
The existing holes are 2", and the new guages require 2 1/4" holes.

What is the best way to open these holes up?

An instrument hole punch would be best I think but how do you keep it centered with a 2" "pilot hole"?

No doubt there is a tool for this but I don't happen to know what it is.

+1 for the punch

I used a punch for this exact operation. Mark the new circle on the panel and get the punch started manually until makes contact with the panel and holds itself in place. I was very worried about keeping it centered but it turned out to be quite simple.

I've also done this operation with nibblers and a file... and that made an unholy mess of aluminum dust. I recommend the punch.

-jon

one method.....

I'm no machinist, but if you drill the 4 new instrument screw holes, then use these to attach a sacrificial square of aluminum behind the panel, this will be your pilot hole guide piece.
you can then use the punch, or a more primitive hole saw to cut thru the panel, and slightly into your scrap piece.
File, dremel, finish as needed.
Your local avionics shop may loan you a punch for the standard rental fee ( a case of Big Rock suds, or bottle of rye. :)

Back