What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to use for maps and etc

dan carley

Well Known Member
i need a holder for maps and papers etc. there is no place in the rv4 to put them. what have people done to make a holder for these things? is there something you can buy?

thank you
dan carley

I ditto Pierre. Back when I did use maps for x-country Dan, I'd have them marked, properly folded and placed by my right hip. As I finished one, it would go over my shoulder into the back seat.

These days, I pre-plan a flight with Foreflight, or like program in the comfort of my favorite chair with said iPad. I make notes of routes and plan possible alternates, etc.

Happy flying, :D

Charts

I don't think I would ever fly without paper charts for backup.
There are chart folder available from sources like sportys that are sized to fit sectional, wac and IFR low altitude charts.

I built in an aluminium pocket each side between 404 and 405 bulkheads. It is about 6" deep and the full width of the bulkheads. Just a base and inside face, which has 1.5" dia holes cut in it for lightrnring and also to make it easeier to remove a map. I could still do with more storage.

What I do

I have a center console that runs vertical forward of the stick, and I have a "glovebox" that holds sunglasses, maps,ect. Easy reach and out of the way. I also store my Nexus 7 in it which has the Avare app that iI absolutely love. It is a very good functioning GPS/Map that is easy for me to read with it laying on my kneeboard and not eating up panel space.It was easy to fabricate and weighs nothing. Actually hangs from my Xponder tray mount.

Dan, send me a PM with your E-mail and I can shoot you a picture that I have on my phone since Im not at the hangar. I can send better pics if I need to take more.

aluminum pockets each side

I also have aluminum pockets on both the right and left sides by the elbows. Sound exactly like what Yen described, though no lightening holes (they are already extremely light). Painted same color as aircraft. They hold quite a bit of stuff: maps, pens, flashlights, batteries, fuel tester, sunglasses, even my aluminum wheel chocks when I bring them, etc. Sorry I don't have a picture available, and don't expect to be by the airport soon.

Reading maps in the 4 is doable but not particularly easy, so Ipad suggestion sounds good.

Mine came with a CD 15 Apollo /Garmin CD player just below the panel and just above the fuel console. I ditched the CD player and the tray/box is the perfect size and location for IFR plates and VNC maps. Right in front of you.

I must add that the GRT Mini X has an awesome mapping function built in. I was order #12 and I just got mine. It was very well worth the wait.

Glass has never been better than now.

Barnstormers is showing a blue, white and red RV-4 for sale in Lexington, NC. The pictures give you a partial view of the side pockets, similar to what mine has by the pilot's elbows.

X-Country Planning.

Just a few thoughts about using maps for X-country in a -4 Dan. Their use is a little more difficult than a SbS because of the confined space.

Prior to me getting a -4, the vast majority of my time was in slow movers where I had plenty of time to correlate my position, scratch my ears, nose & plan the evening meal. I'll never forget my first real venture to step out and go from George West to Gillette, WY. I was shocked to see San Angelo, TX off my left wing tip in just slightly over 1 hour's time. I was not used to running off a sectional so fast. I stopped in Snyder, TX and switched to WAC charts. I also drew a thick viewable line along my route so I wouldn't have to SEARCH; and then folded my maps accordingly, not with the standard crease marks. These were folded to present my route and an area to each side.

I had/have map pouches available; but map maintenance in the -4 was just different. I was moving more than 3 miles/minute and a casual read of a map means you're blowing by a checkpoint before you realize it. A problem that is good, IF one is ready for it. That was the trip where I learned to just toss the map in the back when I ran off it.

Good pre-planning on the ground and studying your route really helps if you're not an ex-fighter pilot or used to flying higher speed planes. I certainly wasn't; and, like I said, it came as a bit of a shock to me. No biggy, but if there are some pilots just moving from Aeroncas, Cubs, slow Cessnas, etc., this might keep you from having that "where the h#ll am I" feeling we all hate. These puppies can move.

Just a little heads-up. You're gonna love your -4.

Happy flying, :D

map

this is my second one. you can't beat them, i use a ipad mini with a glo, but need a spot to put papers just in case. you never know just incase

dan carley

I used a Nexus 7 with Avare on my Johnson Creek trip a couple weeks ago. It worked very well. I do still carry paper charts as a backup since their batteries never run out and their direct sunlight readability is still the best ;)

this is my second one. you can't beat them, i use a ipad mini with a glo, but need a spot to put papers just in case. you never know just incase

dan carley
Oh OK Dan. Sorry, didn't mean to be talking down to you. Thinking back over the years, I don't believe I've ever seen a completed -4 without some side panels for stashing documents/paper. That's pretty bare bones for sure.

Back