What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

For any -4 builders working on fuse...

Gregg Brightwell

Well Known Member
In case you haven't started on the F411 bulkhead yet, here is a chance to learn from my mistake. Use caution when constructing that bulkhead assembly.... I screwed up, and it sucks. The .25" bars on that bulkhead (that attach the rear spar of the horizontal) have to be notched at the LOWER longerons. BUT, do NOT notch the bars at the top!!!!! The upper LONGERON gets notched instead. (Around the .25" bar) I misread the drawing the first time, and notched the bars at both places. I didn't think it looked right afterwards....DOH! Fortunately, the bulkhead is not permanently installed, so I can just order more bar stock, and make new bars.

I hope that I am the only goober that's made this mistake, but it might behoove the rest of you -4 guys, especially the non-builder owners, to check yours.

Lessons learned,

Gregg

If that's the worst mistake you make then you're doing pretty well! Embarrassment stops me from list all of mine but I have a distinct sense of having bought most of two fuselage kits!

Worst mistake was dropping the F-412, F-411, bottom skin and tailwheel mount sub-assembly while painting it. Landed on tailwheel mount, which then bent the F-412. Replaced the F-412 but not quite as exactly as I had hoped.... When I put everything back together the big bottom skin no longer fitted to the bottom longerons..... That's an expensive bit to ship!

There are plenty of other places to misread drawings or - worse - to discover that the drawings contain contradictory information about rivet spacing, jig measurements, size of angle etc etc etc.

Perhaps we could ahve a sticky for RV-4 plans amendments and corrections?? I have a little list.

Cheers

Chris

Both the top and bottom longerons on my rebuild project are notched. I sent Vans the pictures and they stated this was acceptable.

Vans and Plans

Talked to Sterling at Vans. As expected, he told me to replace the bars. (Was gonna anyway)

Interesting Arlie, that both of your longerons are notched. That seems to be the way that the other models do it, but is contrary to the -4 plans.

Chris, I love the idea of a sticky for the gotchas, and plans issues. Maybe DR or a mod can accommodate?

Thanks guys.

Gregg

Another option

We made another change to the aft section when we designed the F1 - we put the 11 bars between the 2 sections of the #11 bulkheads. Sure makes assy easier as the flanges are easier to rivet. I have a few sets of F1 style #11 bulkheads in stock if any of you want to try it on your 4 fuse.

You can do this with 4 parts, but you have to split the fwd part and widen it. That is easy with an added center part.

We also changed the assy process on the #10 so the fwd spar on the H stab was easier to attach....this area gets kinda painful at assembly time.

Carry on!
Mark

Wish I'd done that - F-411

Wish I'd thought of sandwiching the bars on the #11 - as you say rivetting the forward flange is a real pain if done per plans. What do you do to the #10? As you say another pain with lots of scrapes, bruises and bad temper....!
Another hints or tips to impart?

Thanks!!

Chris

Last edited:
can do

Chris

Email me at f1boss at gmail and I can send you a few shot from the assy manual regarding the tweaks at the #10.

Carry on!
Mark

Back