What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My wife's first solo

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
Last weekend my wife, Tonya, soloed in a 172. To keep her from being nervous, I headed down to the airport about 20 minutes after her. I waited for her and Dave (CFII) to take off for a few practice take off/landings (I was about 1/2 mile away with my hand held radio). I was on the take off end of the runway, so once they took off, I knew that I could drive to the airport without the car being seen. Once Dave got out of the plane and tonya taxied to the end of the runway, I walked over to the hangar where Dave was. We drove down to the takeoff end of the runway to take pictures and videos. After her third landing, I announced on the radio, "sweet landing". She was quite surprised to hear my voice on the radio. She expected me to be at home, which is about 30 miles from the airport. I am pretty sure she was glad I was there, but was also glad that she did not know I was there.

Now she just has to make the push this summer to get everything done to take the test. Then we will have two members of the family who can fly. Next up, I think that my 15 old daughter will start working towards her VFR.

Here is a link to a youtube video of the three take of and landings. Not great cinematography, since it was taken with my iPhone, and maybe a little boring, but at least I documented it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzUQ0dDcnu8

We are both blessed to have wives that love aviation. Mine is just a builder now, but she has ideas...

Our congrats to your wife.

Congrats, that's awesome. When my wife got her certificate is was great because with two pilots we cut our flying expenses in half...wait,...no...that's not right...

Congrats,

Tim

Lucky MAN!

You sir.... are a lucky man! Keep that woman happy!!!!! I am in almost the same boat. She likes it, is still warming up to it. Will have to take her up in the -9 or -6 whatever comes my way. Or I could use a spam can for a while and then blow her mind when she gets into an RV! She's a tough cookie that was in the Marines, she might want to build one... we'll see! She really liked the helicopter! (could not drop down to one knee when I proposed but good enough... Schweizer 300 did not have enough room for sure). None of her friends were proposed to in a helicopter.... :) Had to teach her to fly so I could dig for the ring!
Best,
Brian

Sweet flying

She has very soft control of the airplane. Very stable. I would say she is a natural for sure.
Enjoy.
Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
RV9A
Dues paid

You guys who have wives who are interested in aviation are incredibly lucky. I'm quite jealous.

Jerre

Last weekend my wife, Tonya, soloed in a 172. To keep her from being nervous, I headed down to the airport about 20 minutes after her. I waited for her and Dave (CFII) to take off for a few practice take off/landings (I was about 1/2 mile away with my hand held radio). I was on the take off end of the runway, so once they took off, I knew that I could drive to the airport without the car being seen. Once Dave got out of the plane and tonya taxied to the end of the runway, I walked over to the hangar where Dave was. We drove down to the takeoff end of the runway to take pictures and videos. After her third landing, I announced on the radio, "sweet landing". She was quite surprised to hear my voice on the radio. She expected me to be at home, which is about 30 miles from the airport. I am pretty sure she was glad I was there, but was also glad that she did not know I was there.

Now she just has to make the push this summer to get everything done to take the test. Then we will have two members of the family who can fly. Next up, I think that my 15 old daughter will start working towards her VFR.

Here is a link to a youtube video of the three take of and landings. Not great cinematography, since it was taken with my iPhone, and maybe a little boring, but at least I documented it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzUQ0dDcnu8

Back