What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UMA tachometer drive clearance on O-360

CGZDF

I'm New Here
Vans has an UMA tachometer in their store. It runs off of the tachometer drive but offers the following caution...

UMA 2 1/4" Electronic Analog Tachometer
Part Number IE UMA-19-511-112

Made by UMA. Units are complete with a sender that attaches to the mechanical drive on Lycoming engines, with a 6’ wiring harness. This may be incompatible with some vacuum pumps, or oil filter adapters.

I have a Rapco vacuum pump and things look tight but... Has anyone tried this installation?

Thanks

I have the set up you describe on my O-360 and am planning on putting a Christen oil pick up adapter on the vacuum pad instead of a pump. I can take a pic of the installation tomorrow and post it if you'd like.

I'd love to see it installed. The setup is tight and I can't imagine much daylight between the sender and the pump.

Thanks

UMA tach drive - installed pics

Here's the best I could do with all the surrounding stuff in the way. I don't have the body of the tach drive turned away from the vacuum pump, like you will need to do. The top of my 6 inch rule is coming off the edge of the vacuum pump plate I have in place. Looks like about a half inch clearance from the edge of that plate to the knurled nut for the tach drive.

Might also be a good time to ditch your vacuum pump.;)

Attachments

• UMA tach drive.jpg
    UMA tach drive.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 80
  • UMA tack drive 1.jpg
    UMA tack drive 1.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 87
Thanks for the picture. It will be difficult to blindly order the part without knowing if I have clearance. Perhaps someone at the vendor (Vans) will know.
I will post the answer if I find out.

The aircraft first flew in 2002. If I did it again it wouldn't have a pump.

Back