What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phase I Flight test hours

wcalvert

Well Known Member
Hopefully a simple question here ...

How are the Flight Test hours for Phase I determined? Block to block, Off to ON, or something else? The verbology is pretty vague in the regs, at lease what I've seen.

From 20-27G Certification and Operation of Amateur-Built Aircraft:

"14. Phase I Flight Testing. ... b. Number of Flight Test Hours. The number of hours depends on your aircraft’s characteristics. See table 7 below for specific requirements.

Table 7. Aircraft Flight Test Requirements - Aircraft Characteristics - Required Flight Testing -
Type-certificated engine/propeller combination 25 hours
Non-type-certificated engine/propeller combination 40 hours... "

From 14 CFR § 1.1 - General definitions:

"Flight time means:

(1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing; or ..."

Aircraft time? Pilot time? Hours? I am on the fence about even asking the question ... Anyone have any experience here they would be willing to describe in public? :eek:

Pick one. I wouldn't obsess over which. I'm using the GRT log on my -6. It's effectively engine time and is a convenient source. I'll continue to use it for future maintenance. I'm using the EAA Flight Test Manual and will sign off Phase I once the cards are done and the log reaches 40 hrs, whichever occurs LATER.

I don’t think you’ll find any FAA reference that is more specific than what you have already found, so I wouldn’t overthink it. I have always used what amounts to Hobbs time for anything aircraft log related - actual time from engine start to engine stop....more or less.

Paul

What everyone else has said -- Don't obsess on the "When to start the clock...". Master On? Oil Pressure off the peg? Crossing the hold short bars?

Pick one that's convenient, then - focus on completing the test cards, gathering solid/repeatable data, good airmanship; you'll be at .119 Fortnights in no time... :)

Loggable time for a pilot is from when the plane first moves under its own power till engine shutdown. Doesn’t answer your question, but…

Ya, I don't want to obsess about it and don't plan to. But there could be a fair bit of difference between engine time and airborne time for short hops.

Got my answer, thanks for the input

Cheers!

I don’t think you’ll find any FAA reference that is more specific than what you have already found, so I wouldn’t overthink it. I have always used what amounts to Hobbs time for anything aircraft log related - actual time from engine start to engine stop....more or less.

Paul

My first flight instructor told me that from the moment you start the engine you are pilot-in-command and responsible for anything that happens until you shut the engine down whether the aircraft is moving or not. So I have always logged PIC time via Hobbs from the moment the engine starts until shutdown. True the Hobbs will overstate flight time especially if you have long taxi times but even taxiing is part of the flight and the Phase check. I believe with the new EAA Phase I guidelines there is more emphasis on getting the tasks done than on the time it takes to do them, so you can always fly more than the prescribed time if needed, or if you finish in less than the required time, take the remainder to simply enjoy the flight. ;)

Chris

My first flight instructor told me that from the moment you start the engine you are pilot-in-command and responsible for anything that happens until you shut the engine down whether the aircraft is moving or not. So I have always logged PIC time via Hobbs from the moment the engine starts until shutdown. True the Hobbs will overstate flight time especially if you have long taxi times but even taxiing is part of the flight and the Phase check. I believe with the new EAA Phase I guidelines there is more emphasis on getting the tasks done than on the time it takes to do them, so you can always fly more than the prescribed time if needed, or if you finish in less than the required time, take the remainder to simply enjoy the flight. ;)

Chris

Nitpicking edge cases, but according to your logic, an engine out IFE with a 10 mile glide to the airport means you can be single pilot with a flight time of 1.0, but a PIC time of 0.8. Since PIC is based on the engine shutting down you ended your PIC time while still in-flight.

Hopefully a simple question here ...

How are the Flight Test hours for Phase I determined? Block to block, Off to ON, or something else? The verbology is pretty vague in the regs, at lease what I've seen.
:eek:

I am planning to use the EAA task based test document so hopefully all the tasks will be completed close to the prescribed hours. I was reading somewhere that said the FAA now accepts the task based testing methodology in place of the prescribed test hours so the cumulative test hours may not be of a problem for my case.

Nitpicking edge cases, but according to your logic, an engine out IFE with a 10 mile glide to the airport means you can be single pilot with a flight time of 1.0, but a PIC time of 0.8. Since PIC is based on the engine shutting down you ended your PIC time while still in-flight.

I'll log the 0.2 as glider time. I have the rating ;)

I am planning to use the EAA task based test document so hopefully all the tasks will be completed close to the prescribed hours. I was reading somewhere that said the FAA now accepts the task based testing methodology in place of the prescribed test hours so the cumulative test hours may not be of a problem for my case.

Slight correction - the Task Based Phase 1 is coming, but has not yet been made official. Supposed to be “soon”, but I am not sure what timescale they are using- human, governmental, or geological..... ;)

Paul

Back