What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KLHW. savannah Area

mv031161

Well Known Member
Looking for two hangarmates to share a hangar. My aircraft is an aerobatic MX2. (Close to an Rv8 footprint). Perfect hangar size for two other RV,s. With plenty room to spare. Might be able to fit a 4th. Month rent is $600 total...3 hangarmates total will be ideal. Building one? No problem...im an A&P as well.

Last edited:
LHW is a great and underutilized airport. Mitch is an easy and reliable hangar mate, house trained...etc. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Still Looking for 1, 2 and even 3r mates

Still Looking for 1, 2 and even 3 RV's to share large hangar box at KLHW starting June 1st. Year commitment please. 1/2 = $300 1/3 = $200 1/4 = $150 Plenty room for all to park inside and play together

if you have something larger than an RV let me know. We will make it work. High Wing Spam Cans considered

Mitch has found new hangar mates, which would be me and my hangar mate from two hangars down from him.

This leaves our half of a 50x50 open for a new tenant. Current rate is 300/mo and easily fits 2 RVs.

Contact Charlie Martin, the FBO manager at KLHW for details if interested.

EDIT: Just spoke with Charlie and he said all hangar space has been claimed.

Last edited:
Hangar mates

Hey Ray. Shall we start advertising Pre Buys and Condition inspection services for all RV's?

For those flying in and out of LHW, how much trouble do the restricted areas (R-3005 A-E) and MOAs pose for day-to-day operations? I've been kind of assuming I'd have to base out of Ridgeland but LHW is the same distance away from my house... not that I'll be ready for a hangar for at least a couple more years, but still...

For those flying in and out of LHW, how much trouble do the restricted areas (R-3005 A-E) and MOAs pose for day-to-day operations? I've been kind of assuming I'd have to base out of Ridgeland but LHW is the same distance away from my house... not that I'll be ready for a hangar for at least a couple more years, but still...

None. If you fly a normal person pattern you needn't even think of it.

Adds a few minutes if your destination is Northwest of the field, only minimally. The tower folks are really laid back, and Savannah Approach seems to enjoy working GA.

None. If you fly a normal person pattern you needn't even think of it.

Adds a few minutes if your destination is Northwest of the field, only minimally. The tower folks are really laid back, and Savannah Approach seems to enjoy working GA.

Also your AWOS warns you which areas and when the areas are hot or not. Savannah approach works w you well if they are active or you can squeeze above them or through a a narrow corridor on the west side of the SAV VOR.

last you can always do a beach run and enjoy the day without talking to anyone while avoinding the R areas...

Thanks for the info... I'm not worried about in the pattern; more about arrivals and departures. I'll probably be making lots of trips to and from the Atlanta area and that would make things a little more tricky.

I'm also completely out of practice in a controlled environment--I think the last time I spoke to any kind of ATC was during my solo cross-countries as a student 16 years ago.

If you need to go in to LHW IFR on weekends, be sure to read the IAP notes carefully. Seems like the Restricted areas are often hot on weekends.

George

If you need to go in to LHW IFR on weekends, be sure to read the IAP notes carefully. Seems like the Restricted areas are often hot on weekends.

George

The tower is sometimes open on weekends if there is lots of military activity. Savannah approach is always very helpful with restricted area status. I fly there frequently from Jacksonville and usually go direct from BROUN intersection if unsure of status - this clears all restricted areas. From Northeast I use JANIE or HARPS. Fly a tight pattern and remember right traffic on runway 6L to stay clear of restricted area to the north.

Watch and listen carefully for low flying traffic - helicopters operate from KLHW and maneuver around the area.

Last edited:

Talk to SAV if the LHW tower is not open or just fly around, which is what I most often do. As mentioned, the LHW tower is usually closed on weekends but activity picks up during summer months when a lot of National Guard come in for training.

Also keep in mind that 33 and 24 are right traffic so all traffic flies the outside edge of the runways. You will find the inner runways listed but they are not used and are mostly grown over with grass. Helo traffic sometimes uses them for staging.

Stop and and visit some time. You like the drive a lot better than 3J1!

Thanks for the info... I'm not worried about in the pattern; more about arrivals and departures. I'll probably be making lots of trips to and from the Atlanta area and that would make things a little more tricky.

I'm also completely out of practice in a controlled environment--I think the last time I spoke to any kind of ATC was during my solo cross-countries as a student 16 years ago.

LOL! I know the feeling...I also prefer not to talk to ATC

Back