What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting ailerons - will they swing

Barneybc12d

Well Known Member
I am jigging parts for paint. Can ailerons and flaps just be hung by wire, or do I need more structure to keep them from swinging?
Can you tell I am a virgin painter?

Thanks

20rkz2x.jpg

iqhc3a.jpg

I can't answer your primary question, but you're definitely going to want to make sure the dog stays on the towel after he's been painted.

Don't paint inverted.

As a check, take one hang it and spray with the gun dry. I think you will want more stability.

Secure the part !

Use 1x2 and screws/ bailing wire / whatever to make the part stand still. If you let it it swing you will have orange peel, runs and dissapointment?

I use welding rods with hooks bent at each end to hang parts. Nice and heavy duty. Painting up and down will swing the parts much less than side to side.

I suspended the control surfaces from their hinges and the tooling holes in the end ribs. That way, I could spray them in a flat orientation.

The part has to stay still while spraying. The HVLP guns everyone uses these days puts out a lot of air and will blow the part around! I tried practice spraying a piece hanging from wire and it didn't work. So I built a couple of extra sawhorses and made some mounting brackets for all the parts and screwed the brackets down on the sawhorses with decking wood screws. The brackets were made from small angle and strap iron and allowed me to put a small bolt thru the bracket arm and the rod end bearing on the parts. I could easily remove them and rearrange the brackets for different parts. This also enabled me to flip the parts over and paint the opposite side. I spent a good 8 hrs building sawhorses and brackets but it paid of in the end. Sorry, I don't have a picture of a bracket handy to post.

2ahaxa9.jpg

Back