What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proseal Fuel Tanks

N53LW

Well Known Member
Where can I find a video of someone sealing fuel tanks? The RV-8 was a quick build! New territory for me!

Ripper!!

No video, but I just leak tested my -8 tanks this morning, no bubbles!
I highly recommend using cartridges. I found it much easier and less mess. I used these (standard 2 hour cure as opposed to Vans 1/2 hour cure offering)
http://www.skygeek.com/flamemaster-cs-3204a2-sealant-6-oz.html
You can use a length of vinyl tubing on the cartridge nozzle to get down into the nose areas or dab over rivet heads.
I also used the access panel sealant for the access plate and sender. I used 1/4" cork dots made from the cork gasket (Whitney hand punch) and put them on each nutplate rivet (with a dab of regular sealant, then let cure) to provide a controlled sealant thickness when I tightened the cover screws. Worked very well with no excessive squeeze out.
IMG_1978_zpsjawmbi8v.jpg

IMG_2065_zpsvmiqxndr.jpg

Overall, it took me a lot longer to build the tanks than I would have guessed, but hopefully I'm done now.

No video, but lots of pics...

I have many photos in my build log. Feel free to check it out. (link in my signature below) They aren't as bad as they seem. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN.... that's the mantra.

Good luck!

GB

Back