What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spraying clear over vinyl

DMFenster

Well Known Member
Is it possible to spray clearcoat over 3M 1080 vinyl? I want to wrap my new panel and some interior panels. If you have done this, how has it held up?
Thanks,
Dave
Woodbridge, VA

3M vinyl comes in a few different clear styles, FYI. These are distinct products, rather than the clear overlay of the 2080 kind.

Dave

Clear over vinyl

Is it possible to spray clearcoat over 3M 1080 vinyl? I want to wrap my new panel and some interior panels. If you have done this, how has it held up?
Thanks,
Dave
Woodbridge, VA

Just curious. What is the goal for spraying clear over vinyl?
Maybe to protect decals?
I've never tried it but I wonder how the vinyl will react with the clear coat chemicals?
If no one replies, you can buy samples pretty cheap and shoot some tokens. One issue is how the clear will stick. Normally it's a chemical bond to the base coat.

Alternatives...
You could have the vinyl printed with the decals. These days they can print almost anything up to 60" wide.
My grand daughter is a graphic artist for a vinyl company.
I'm talking with her about printing the vinyl for my airplane.
Now I think a vinyl pre-printed panel might be a cool idea. Thanks for the tip!:D

I wrapped my plane, and it's still in the shop.

But by looking at the vinyl, I can't imagine any kind of spray anything sticking to it. Some overspray from an errant paint can landed on my horizontal stab, and it wiped off with some IPA and a microfiber towel.

It's pretty durable by itself, should hold up just fine as is.

I would say no. We use 1080 as paint masks on boats. While the paint sticks to the vinyl, after two color coats I can peel it off with no issue leaving a clean line.

We normally use 1080 to do decals on the boats, but since that is what we have laying around it is just easier to cut from the scrap for paint masks as opposed to buying a cheaper material

I wrapped my plane, and it's still in the shop.

But by looking at the vinyl, I can't imagine any kind of spray anything sticking to it. Some overspray from an errant paint can landed on my horizontal stab, and it wiped off with some IPA and a microfiber towel.

It's pretty durable by itself, should hold up just fine as is.

IPA? Sorry. Made the beer come out my nose. I just had this mental image of pouring a perfectly good beer all over the airplane!:D

Back