What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

paint booth setup recommendations

ac_oldman

I'd like a primer spraying setup likely to minimize health hazard and waste.

Is there an EAA-1000 table-style paintbooth setup? What do other people do that is less careless than ignoring where the excess spray goes.

The setup will likely be done next to an open hangar door so you have an idea of the ventilation possibilities.

I have in mind a frame of 2x4s & plastic sheeting, a table with a grill instead of a work surface, an intake fan, and explosion-proof outlet fan w/ filters.
Maybe lights setup outside of the booth to shine through the sheeting.

I'd also like to know what people are using for breathing apparatus.

quick paint booth

For a quicky paint booth I bought a 10' x 10' plastic garage from Harbor Freight $69. I set a canvas drop cloth under it. But could have used blue tarp. I cut a hole in the wall for two 24" square fans and put double furnace filters on them. The fans blow outward. When you spray the over spray goes into the furnace filters due to the fans pulling the air. Replace the filters often, but they are cheap $3. Some photos here: http://www.mykitlog.com/users/category.php?user=sglynn&project=607&category=11091

Hobby air

Can't help much with the booth. I sprayed most stuff in my storage barn. In Winter I set up a temp booth exhausted outside through a dryer vent port installled in the shop wall.
I use a Hobby Air while spraying but switch to a 3M P100 respirator with #60926 filters for cleaning up.

I use a simple PVC frame covered by painters plastic. I have a box fan in the corner with a furnace filter in front of it. I used a 3m type mask to start, but have moved to a positive pressure mask now that I have moved to my hanger.
i-rp62NmZ-S.jpg

Last edited:
For a quicky paint booth I bought a 10' x 10' plastic garage from Harbor Freight $69. I set a canvas drop cloth under it. But could have used blue tarp. I cut a hole in the wall for two 24" square fans and put double furnace filters on them. The fans blow outward. When you spray the over spray goes into the furnace filters due to the fans pulling the air. Replace the filters often, but they are cheap $3. Some photos here: http://www.mykitlog.com/users/category.php?user=sglynn&project=607&category=11091

Can you provide details on the HF "plastic garage?" Closest I could find was $159: https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-10-ft-portable-shed-63297.html

A primer booth is just a 36" high box with a chicken wire top. One wall of the box has an HVAC filter, behind which is a fan. When the fan is running, air is pulled down into the box and through the filter. If positioned against an exterior wall, the fan can dump outside.

You can also stack filters, remove almost all the overspray, and allow the exhaust back into the room. It removes solids, but not solvents.

The concept is an industry standard for both paint and sanding.

I stapled a 10x15' sheet of plastic to the rafters in the garage as the roof. Then took a 12x50 foot sheet and stapled it around the edges to form the walls. Duct tape to seal the seams and a 20 inch box fan as the air mover. On the exhaust side I used a couple 2x4s to build a frame for a household ac intake filter. Used a couple painters throw clothes on the ground to catch the overspray. Pictures on on the website in my sig. I think in total I was out 75 bucks and a day to build the booth. It rolls up above the garage door and gets clamped to the rafters when not in use.

http://www.rv7build.com/weather-hold-6-hrs/

Last edited:
Downdraft Paint Booth

Here's a link to a video of my downdraft paint booth I made for my -7 project.

I'm done with most of my priming and was very happy to have this booth for the project.

It was made with 2x2s and pressboard. I sourced a couple of 12v bilge blower motors on Amazon and used furnace filters to prevent sending overspray out the window and down the side of my garage.

Back