Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:56 AM

Default Types of paint

Hello all,

My hangar neighbor here at 3T3 has a paint booth as part of his business, and he was kind enough to offer me the use of it for my -8 as I need. I?m getting to the point where I could shoot paint on some things this winter. Though I?ve painted cars back when I was in high school some 20 years ago, my guess is that aluminum is a whole different animal. I searched to find threads on what paint to use, but came up empty handed, so I?m asking those that have gone before.... what did you use, what are the advantages/disadvantages. Would you use something different if you were to do it again, etc. I?m hoping this thread serves as a good objective discussion on what type/brand paint to use for those of us cheapskates who want to shoot paint ourselves.

Best regards,
Sam
Old 10-02-2019, 06:11 AM

Sam,

I used DuPont automotive paint, base coat / clear coat. If I were to do it again, I would probably go with single stage as it is easier to touch up later when you have to repaint your wheel pants, gearlegs, etc.

Also, I highly recommend you stick with paint codes from production cars. That way it is much easier to match in the future.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 10-02-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:54 AM

Default Paint

I asked a old friend who is a pro aircraft painter what he would use on his own small aircraft. Told him I wanted the best balance between durability, ease of application, ease of touch up, cost, local availability ect and of course it had to look good. His choice would be PPG Concept DCC (single stage) for the exterior, PPG Shopline with a hardener on the interior and he loves JetGlo 483-505 primer for fiberglass and all metal. I certainly would agree that a stock auto color has advantages down the road. My local auto paint shop supply vendor can put custom mixed enamel in a aerosol can which is handy for touch ups.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer
Old 10-03-2019, 09:46 AM

A fair amount of acceptable options from both aircraft specific and automotive paints, both single stage and base/clear systems. I would slightly lean towards single stage for the novice painter. Don?t overlook proper prep and a primer specific to aluminum that will promote adhesion and prevent corrosion.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:21 AM

Default Reference to Another Thread

Sam,

Dan Horton did a wonderful write up some time ago. Check out

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=60631

Best of luck!
Mike
Old 10-03-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzAero View Post
A fair amount of acceptable options from both aircraft specific and automotive paints, both single stage and base/clear systems. I would slightly lean towards single stage for the novice painter. Don?t overlook proper prep and a primer specific to aluminum that will promote adhesion and prevent corrosion.
While I believe Single stage is a good option for weight reduction and chip resistance, I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. Runs are a reality for novice painters and SS is basicly clear coat in that regard. The problem is that most SS paints don't use urethame pigments and only a very thin layer of pigment free clear rises to the surface. If you have to sand anything before buffing, you will break into the pigments and will see color and sheen variations there. Southern polyurethanes sells nice SS paint with urethane pigments that will not have this issue. However, they have only a few colors to choose from.

Larry
Old 10-03-2019, 12:22 PM

Default Jet Glow

Sherwin Williams Jet Glow is an aerospace product.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
While I believe Single stage is a good option for weight reduction and chip resistance, I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. Runs are a reality for novice painters and SS is basicly clear coat in that regard. The problem is that most SS paints don't use urethame pigments and only a very thin layer of pigment free clear rises to the surface. If you have to sand anything before buffing, you will break into the pigments and will see color and sheen variations there. Southern polyurethanes sells nice SS paint with urethane pigments that will not have this issue. However, they have only a few colors to choose from.

Larry
Fair point, single stage paint doesn?t lend itself well to cut and polish. Although if one is going to produce runs spraying single stage color they probably will spraying clear as well. Successfully sanding out and polishing imperfections is tedious, time consuming procedure in itself with risk of paint damage.