What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

best jacking for nose

drmax

Well Known Member
Hello. Can anyone share there method off jacking the nose? I have to loosend the main nut to spin the steering collar around 180 degrees.
It looks like the nose fork itself, but then again that's where I'll be working.
Thx for the input. DM

I use an engine hoist. Lift with strapping wrapped around the engine mount.

A few 10-lb sandbags on the HS and a padded sawhorse under the tail (low enough that the nose will come off the ground but not too far).

Greg

Okee Dokee...I was thinking of this method, but didn't wanna stress the fuselsausage. Thx

Hang weight from tail

I have a large plastic shipping container that I put a couple bags a concrete into, it has a ratchet strap around it and the hooks are hung on the tail tie down ring.

Use a Concrete Anchor

I drilled a hole in the hanger floor under the tail eyebolt and installed an expansion anchor. To lift the nose, I screw a forged loop over the bolt in the floor and use a cheap Harbor Freight mini-block and tackle to pull the tail down. I have a piece of chain with hooks on both ends to hold it down. You don't trip over the anchor bolt because it is under the tail. No danger of denting the sheetmetal this way.

Well, I crawled into the back of my fuse to install a comm antenna and whatta you know, the tail went down and the nose came up. No damage but now I have a tail STAND! Otherwise, like Mel I use an engine hoist to mess with the nose wheel. Expanding on this, it is not my engine hoist but a neighboring hanger partner's hoist. Between the airplanes, cars, trucks, boats, trains (well, maybe not trains but who knows) at the airport we are never far from hoists, lifts, jacks, fork lifts and any number of tools and helpers. Airports are great places.

Last edited:
I had to get some softener salt, so put 200 lbs over a ratchet strap and got her up long enough to do my business.

One person push down on H-tail and another puts block of wood under the end of the nose gear. Takes 10 seconds and can actually do it by myself, if I have too, by pushing down and then rolling it forward a couple inches to get it on the block.
Push down on spar. Only takes a few lbs to rotate the nose up.

One person push down on H-tail and another puts block of wood under the end of the nose gear. Takes 10 seconds and can actually do it by myself, if I have too, by pushing down and then rolling it forward a couple inches to get it on the block.
Push down on spar. Only takes a few lbs to rotate the nose up.
A few lbs?

An engine hoist will work but then of course you have to remove the upper cowl and then later put it back on again. Then there is the time consuming issue of gingerly rolling the rather cumbersome engine hoist into and out of place, especially if space is limited and other high dollar airframes are present you prefer to avoid. Tic toc, tic toc. By far the quickest, easiest one person way to raise the nose I know of is simply this:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=10411&postcount=1

10-20 lbs. That is a few. Your mileage may vary depending on your FWF installation.
Guess I'm missing something as it took 200 lbs of salt to get my nose off the floor, and that was still not teetering. I'm done.

Guess I'm missing something as it took 200 lbs of salt to get my nose off the floor, and that was still not teetering. I'm done.

Math
Weight empty: 1000 lbs
I have 250 lbs on the nose gear from my weight and balance
Moment arm from mains to nose is 55"
total moment to over come weight on nose (250 X 55) is 13750 in-lbs
Distance from mains to tail 110" (guess as I do not have drawing in front of me)
Weight needed to raise nose 125 lbs (13750/110).

OK more then 20 but less then 200. Seems less as pushing down from above is a whole lot easier then pulling down from below.

Math
Weight empty: 1000 lbs
I have 250 lbs on the nose gear from my weight and balance
Moment arm from mains to nose is 55"
total moment to over come weight on nose (250 X 55) is 13750 in-lbs
Distance from mains to tail 110" (guess as I do not have drawing in front of me)
Weight needed to raise nose 125 lbs (13750/110).

OK more then 20 but less then 200. Seems less as pushing down from above is a whole lot easier then pulling down from below.
Yep on the "laying on it" to get it down...specially when it's your butt (not your arms) doing the work ;) Take care

Nose gear

Had so shimmy and wanted to check adjustment and your suggestion on lifting the nose is perfect for me. Thanks, Ken:)

I use a cheap ($29) 2 ton floor jack from Northern Tool. If you remove the nose wheel pant, the wheel yoke bolt area fits nicely in the jack cup. I can also use the jack on the main wheels with the Handy Lift product which I don't think is available any longer.

P5240057.jpg

P5150053.jpg

P5150052.jpg

Back