What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G-Meter

SteinAir

Well Known Member
Saw this a little while ago and snapped a fuzzy pic (perhaps the Garmin guys will post a nicer crisp pic) with my cell phone, but pretty nice display of a G-Meter and some nifty functionality along with it.

Cheers,
Stein

g3xgmeter.jpg

We flew with a little bit in Beta just before Junior went in to the paint shop - works nice, and no, I didn't bother to check how far the negative side went....that's just painfull! :)

Roll rate limitation

Does anyone know what the roll rate limitation is for the G3X AHRS unit? I'd like to put this in my Pitts because it is a nice light stand alone package for a plane like that but don't want it to become a distraction if it is always "tumbling".

Can you display the g meter and, say, the engine data over a black screen during acro?

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the roll rate limitation is for the G3X AHRS unit? I'd like to put this in my Pitts because it is a nice light stand alone package for a plane like that but don't want it to become a distraction if it is always "tumbling".

Can you display the g meter and, say, the engine data over a black screen during acro?

Flybipe,

As stated in the G3X installation manual, "The GSU 73 AHRS is capable of maneuvers through a range of 360? in bank and pitch. The rotation rate
capability is ?200? per second."

There is no way to manually turn off the attitude presentation on the PFD, but should you perform acro maneuvers long enough to exceed the limits of the attitude algorithms, it will replace the attitude presentation with a black background with instructions to keep the wings level while the in-flight alignment occurs.

The airspeed, altitude, vertical speed, engine data, etc will still be presented over the black background.

A picture of this presentation is on page 10-6 of the G3X installation manual if you are interested.

The G3X attitude presentation can never actually "tumble" (provide incorrect attitude information). Proprietary monitors are used to detect an out-of-limits condition and invalidate/remove the attitude presentation before it can become incorrect.

Thanks,
Steve

The G3X attitude presentation can never actually "tumble" (provide incorrect attitude information). Proprietary monitors are used to detect an out-of-limits condition and invalidate/remove the attitude presentation before it can become incorrect.

Based on our Phase 1 experience with our G3X-equipped RV-3, I can confirm that it works exactly like this - I was only able to make this happen once, with a pretty radical roll/pitch/yaw sequence. After reporting it to the Garmin guys, they did some software tweaks and as hard as I tried, I wasn't able to make it happen again - so it's pretty robust.

Thanks....

This is all helpful. I now see that Greg Poe had one in his new MXS so it must have worked ok for him....

Silly question...

As I work on my G3X panel upgrade, I still don't know how software updates are made. Is it easy? What's the process?

Nice kit that I've seen so far BTW. Love the idea of the config modules that sit in the D-sub backshells that keep settings even if you switch out screens.

As I work on my G3X panel upgrade, I still don't know how software updates are made. Is it easy? What's the process?

Piece of cake - software comes from the 'net to your computer, you run it and it writes the code to a memory card, you put the card in the front of the GDU, and it asks if you want to install it. Say yes, and watch it go.

Back