What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Protecting leg fairings

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
At the bottom of the main gear, the leg fairings are very tight, and can eat into the gear. What do you do to protect the gear from the fiberglass fairings. I have used electrical tape successfully. But I have to redo it every year at condition inspection time.

Michael-

2021-03-18 18.53.53.jpg

3m clear protective film is one answer. You can apply it to either the gear leg fairing or to the inside of the transition fairing.

I have used small strips of stainless steel tape with good results. I also don't seem to have to replace it at condition inspection. Its on the gear leg and the fairing. Stainless steel rubbing against stainless steel. And it shows it is protecting the gear leg from being rubbed on. Black electrical tape works as well in some places and I don't mind replacing it where I have it during the inspection.

aluminum brake line abrasion

While fabricating my brake lines, I slid rubber gas hose over the aluminum brake lines to protect them from abrasion inside the gear fairings. Worked well so far after 600 hours and 16 years. I would do this again.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD
Faribault, MN

Back