What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Rudder stub spar

rcarsey

Well Known Member
I ordered the rudder trim tab recently just in case I needed it (it was only $7). New KAI instructions were sent with it. I noticed a new internal piece inside the rudder that was not part of my original rudder KAI.

Does anyone know why this piece was added (R-01211 STUB SPAR)? Is it necessary if you want to add the trim tab? What is the risk? Is it worth adding it after the rudder has been built?

Attachments

• IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 241
The plans that came with my trim tab several years ago didn’t have the stub spar (Page 7A-01, Rev. 0, 04/03/14). I don’t think there’s much risk adding the trim tab to a rudder without the stub spar. The trim tab has been used successfully on hundreds of original-style RV-12 rudders.

Let us know if you find out why Van’s decided to add the stub spar.

That's interesting. Ours (early RV-12, S/N 222) doesn't have it. The builder had installed a couple of wood wedges for trim. A couple years back I removed them and replaced with the metal trim tab, which did not come with the stub spar. Didn't have to adjust it at all.

That's interesting. Ours (early RV-12, S/N 222) doesn't have it. The builder had installed a couple of wood wedges for trim. A couple years back I removed them and replaced with the metal trim tab, which did not come with the stub spar. Didn't have to adjust it at all.

I looked at the KAI for my RV-12, S/N 212, and it shows a polyethylene plastic wedge for the trim tab, riveted in place.

FYI... My empennage kit and KAI, delivered three months, include the Stub Spar.

Back