What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Frequency of carb balance

Out side of the annual inspection, how often should the carbs need balanced?

Depends on how many hrs you fly per year.

Rotax specifies a carb synch be done at every 100 hr inspection or when roughness is noted that could be cause by improper carb synch.

Let me ask that differently. How often are folks having to balance their carbs due to perceived roughness?

Let me ask that differently. How often are folks having to balance their carbs due to perceived roughness?

If you are concerned with roughness, another thread had a suggestion to add back the extension spring to the throttle arms in addition to the new torsion springs on the throttle shaft.

I did this a few weeks ago and I think it actually helped smooth the mid-range. The theory is the additional spring force pulls the cables more uniformly.

For what it's worth…

I have a very precise balancer that is made from MAP sensors outputting to an Arduino and displaying on a screen with a bar graph and numbers. The resolution is far better than an electronic LED device or tube type gauges.

Because I built it I have been using it a lot, not because I have engine problems but I am more testing the tool, and I wondered how well the carbs stay in balance.

I have tested it 3 times in the past 50 hours of flight, zero change. One time I removed both carbs from their boots and changed bowl gaskets, still no change.

I have a very precise balancer that is made from MAP sensors outputting to an Arduino and displaying on a screen with a bar graph and numbers. The resolution is far better than an electronic LED device or tube type gauges.

Because I built it I have been using it a lot, not because I have engine problems but I am more testing the tool, and I wondered how well the carbs stay in balance.

I have tested it 3 times in the past 50 hours of flight, zero change. One time I removed both carbs from their boots and changed bowl gaskets, still no change.

What level of accuracy do you think you have it down to with this balancer?

How much $$$ are they to build, in parts?

Perhaps a picture or two?

It really sounds like a lot of piece of mind when you can get that level of accuracy so quickly and easily. Pull the cowling, check balance the carbs, and inspect engine mounts, every conditional inspection, or sooner.

Last edited:
Adding the extra springs really helps the mid range, I added them and am very happy. You just need to keep a little more friction to keep cable creep down.

Back