What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Location for the Ammeter Shunt & ANL Fuse

design4p

Hi,

Just wondering where is the preferred location of the Ammeter Shunt & ANL Fuse. I am thinking next to the contactors on the wall of the engine bay, however, I have noticed some builders place these behind the firewall.

Any suggestions are welcome.

John (RV14A Build)

Remember that the purpose of the ANL fuse is to isolate the alternator in case it shorts internally. When that happens the battery will try to dump a couple hundred amps backward through the B-lead into the alternator, and the ANL should pop to remove that short circuit. Think about wire heating and insulation in that case - do you really want that inside the cabin?

Put the shunt where you prefer, but please put the ANL fuse on the hot side of the firewall, with as short a lead to the alternator as practical.

My Dynon ANL is attached to an engine mount tube via two ADEL clamps. Made the wire run from the alternator easy; it's in the path to enter the cabin via the firewall pass-through and a short jump to the battery on the firewall, as well.

My Dynon ANL is attached to an engine mount tube via two ADEL clamps. Made the wire run from the alternator easy; it's in the path to enter the cabin via the firewall pass-through and a short jump to the battery on the firewall, as well.

Do you mean the Dynon *ammeter shunt*? I didn't think Dynon made an ANL.

Back