What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivinut installation tool?

DennisRhodes

Well Known Member
Has anyone found a good way to install rivinuts DIY ie 6-32, 8-32 and or 10-32 without the driver tool? . I often would like to install one or two but have never had the need for purchasing the driver tool. Most of the automotive tools use the Metric size nuts and I don t want to start that. I ve seen the video where you use a battery driver and coupling nut but not much luck with rotating the screw for installing them, it usually pull the threads out of the nut.

Rivnuts

Rivnuts are a pain in the a**. Do yourself a favor and install nut plates.
Totally agree - I spent a fortune on them, and was a big mistake. Some slip after being installed. I'd find a way to avoid them.

I have/use both ACS HOMEBUILDERS RIVET NUT TOOL (12-00968)
and L-1000 ECONOMY HAND RIVET NUT TOOL. Both types work well. If you can, always install a nutplate instead. My Navion has a bunch of rivnuts and I proactively replace them with nutplates when I do something that provides access.

If you must use a rivnut, then use a "keyed" version. You can file a slot with a jewelers file for the anti-rotation key. The key will allow a bit more torque before it spins but you can't hog down on any screw going into a rivnut like you can a nutplate.

If you must use a rivnut, then use a "keyed" version. You can file a slot with a jewelers file for the anti-rotation key. The key will allow a bit more torque before it spins but you can't hog down on any screw going into a rivnut like you can a nutplate.

I agree with this.

I also agree that platenuts are better but sometimes you can't get behind a structure to install platenuts and that is where keyed rivnuts come in handy.

I used the HF tool but not their rivnuts. Get them with the tang from ACS. Testing showed the tang holds well, much better than the HF serrated.

I have to stand up in support of rivnuts...I used all three sizes (6,8,10) in various non structural areas of the plane. Platenuts are preferable and cheaper but there are many cases where you need a blind fastener and pop rivet doesn't get the job done. I've never had one rotate on me either but that's probably because I'm careful when installing them, and drill a tight fitting hole so the collar gets maximum grip

Rivnuts for fairings

Are rivnuts okay to use holding the transition fairings to the fuselage?
I suppose if in aluminum they are probably as strong as a platenut. Right? What about in lower cowl for nose gear transition fairing? And whether rivnut or plate nut do you need an aluminum back sheet fo holding on the fairing?

Thanks

I can't address the nose gear fairings, because I don't have any, but I do use rivnuts to secure my transition fairings for the main gear. No issues at all. The key with rivnuts is not to over torque them or use them in any structural capacity. I simply installed them into the fuselage skin with no backing.

Are rivnuts okay to use holding the transition fairings to the fuselage?
I suppose if in aluminum they are probably as strong as a platenut. Right? What about in lower cowl for nose gear transition fairing? And whether rivnut or plate nut do you need an aluminum back sheet fo holding on the fairing?

Thanks

If you use them, use the ones with a lock tab from Spruce. I tried the serrated style from HF on a test piece and they would spin too easily. Even when crimped well. I used nut plates instead for less future pain.

Back